SCOPE not mouthwash

barbak59
on 6/22/04 4:06 am - JOELTON, TN
Hi guys I'm home from the SCOPE test EGD. This is where they run a sm. camera down my throat & look around. I had to be there at 7:30am much to early for me. My daughter had to go with me to drive me home. Ok this is it they are suppose to sedate l-) you before they begin the scope & they hook you up to all the wires( Heartrate, bloodp,oxygen,etc.) But because I am on such strong pain meds, the sedation didn't work very well. I WAS NOT RELAXED!!! But they couldn't sedate me any more because my bloodp was trying to drop. But before any of this they spray your throat with this yuckky spray to kinda numb it. It was nasty, hot, yuckky. It did numb my throat tho, but then I felt like my tongue was swelling & my throat was closing up. They assured me this was normal, it was kinda scary to me. You know how at the dentist how your tongue feels swolen. Thats what it's like. The bad part was when they are covering your eyes & making you swallow the camera. CAN YOU SAY GAG REFLEX, GAG, GAG,GAG Then it was over and he said I did good. He kinda scared me saying he had to send off something for biopsy and that wasn't unusual, also said my hydial hernia was small, I had been told before by another dr that it was large. Then he said he found nothing that would keep me from having my GBS. I'm 1 step closer into my journey. I thank GOD everyday, and ask him to bless everyone whatever stage of the journey they are in. Through God all things are possible. Hope everyone has a nice day. I gotta go take a nap maybe the sedation is kicking in. Barb
Linda R.
on 6/22/04 6:36 am - maryville, tn
Barb, Bless your heart that sounds awful but you are one step closer !!! Hang in and it will happen!!! It's hard I know.... Linda
kymt
on 6/22/04 7:11 am - nashville, TN
man o man am i glad i didnt have to have this done .question why do they do it in the 1st place???
barbak59
on 6/22/04 11:11 am - JOELTON, TN
Hi Kym:wave I got my nap out I think, now I'll be up all night on the board. I'm glad you didn't have to have it too. It was awful I have acid reflux & what I thought was a lg. hydial hernia(spelling?) Dr. R just wanted to make sure he didn't run into any surprize when he get's in there. I am soooooooo glad it's over with I'm another step closer. Now I gotta get the sleep study over with. When are you seeing the nutrition & have your pre labs? Barb
Kathy Newton
on 6/23/04 7:06 pm - LaVergne, TN
It's done, if a Barium Swallow shows that you have something going on between your throat and stomach. It is hard to swallow the camera. In my case because I have an hiatel hernia due to acid reflux & gerd, I have to have it done sometimes 2-3 times a year. The spray for the back of the throat is lidocaine numbing. I am allergic to it, so I am put to sleep. Far easier that way, and I don't start choking with the camera going down to my stomach. This last time, my dr. discovered 2 polps, benign, and a raw section in my stomach. I had to be careful of what I ate and eat as it could become a peptic ulcer. Stress will do that also. I would rather have the scope, while I'm asleep, instead of the swallow. One main reason, Barium has Sulfate in it, and where ever the sulfate touches, I get boils. Which would you refer? UGH. always, Kathy
tinyTNgirl
on 6/22/04 1:14 pm - TN
Congratulations, Barb! Sounds like quite an experience but atleast its behind you now and you can focus on the positive. You're almost there! I can feel the excitement through the monitor lol. Any other tests or are you getting the green light? God bless hon! Melanie
Most Active
Recent Topics