Maintenance Fees

wannabe an 8.
on 6/2/04 11:53 am - knoxville, TN
Someone was asking about fees. I am not a wiz at this puter stuff but try this link. This is from Dr stephen Boyces office here in knoxville. this lady works in his office posted a few days ago and this was the discussion. I attended his seminar in Feb. I heard he is a great dr but i can not see paying a 3000.00 out of pocket fee. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/state-forums/TN/postdetail/2131.html?vc=0
TraumaRN
on 6/2/04 2:02 pm - COVINGTON, TN
Michelle, My out of pocket fee was $350.00. But that covered four nutrition classes, the dietician evaluation and the following appointments with the dietician: 2 weeks post op 4 weeks post op every month through the 12th and then 1 time per year for life...... That's over paying....$3000.00
wannabe an 8.
on 6/3/04 10:20 am - knoxville, TN
yep it is crazy i tell you.... So i moved on and went to another dr and i am very pleased with him so far...
T H.
on 6/2/04 10:47 pm - NH
Ok, ok ... This sounds bad and excuse me as I pull out my soapbox! I just don't get the concept of "maintenance fees" as follow-up from any surgery is important and should be a concern of the surgeon. When I had surgery, I paid a surgical fee (10% co-pay from insurance) but my surgeon sees me for a year (1wk, 2 wk, 4 wk, 6 mo, 1 yr) to check my progress as part of my "treatment" gratis as part of the surgery. And the nutritionist has seen me every visit the same way. I am sure that different offices do things different ways but it just seems that your aftercare is as important as the actual surgery and shouldn't cost additional money. I do, however, understand that aftercare is this important and if my surgeon required fees, I suppose I would pay them if I was able. Bu why a $3000 fee? Is he not billing insurance? If I paid this I would ensure that my insurer knew to at least count it against a max OOP. I am not discounting that this person may be an excellent surgeon, just my opinion in terms of charging for "maintenance". I am also not attacking anyone using these physicians, just saying I disagree with the practice and hate that someone has to pay that sort of out of pocket to get the care they need. Ok, I'll turn my megaphone off and walk away ...
ShrinkingKatie
on 6/2/04 11:31 pm - Crossville, TN
William, I understand where your coming from. I still don't understand the "maintance" fee and I almost went to Dr. Boyce. That's until I realized this fee. I talked to another doctor (No, not Dr. Hruska) about this maintance fee and they said it seemed illegal for the other doctor to be charging that kind of money. I bet if they just added this 3,000 dollars to the insurance bill and not called it "maintance fee" - Insurance will most likely pay for it. But since to me, it seems this doctor is doing this surgery for the money rather then to help his patients, I doubt that office will do such a thing. I do understand some people have to pay "out-the-pocket" fees but thats usually because of how there insurance is set up. I know all this may sound rude, but I just find it funny this doctor is the only one that charges a "maintance fee" and I've looked in to many doctors in Tennessee and even met with a few! (It took me 3 years to find a doctor I liked!) Anyways, I'm finished now! -Katie
wannabe an 8.
on 6/3/04 10:19 am - knoxville, TN
Yes Iagree with you guys.... No the insurance does not pay the fee and they tell you it does not pay. Now to hear this lady tell it.. a few insurances are starting ot pay it.(of course mine is not one of them). This only made me search harder for another dr. The dr i see now does not charge any maintance fees. i did have to pay a 200.00 fee for proceeing paper work and such. This also included the cost of a gastric bypass manual,written my dr, and a nutrition class given at the hospital. (i will attend on sat). I will be paying my psyc fee of 100.00. Hopefully i will be reimbursed if not oh well it still was not 3000.00....... Hope you are doing well... How much have you lost???
Most Active
Recent Topics