help!!! BLOOD TRANSFUSION

neda M.
on 6/2/04 2:34 am - murfreesboro, TN
HELLO, i the new kid on the block. I just got a letter that i'm approved that the great new. but I can't find a dr. that will do the surgery because of the blood tranfusion .if anyone knows of someone who had the surgery and had the same problem please share onfo.
CarolynInHuntsville
on 6/2/04 6:03 am - Alabama, AL
Someone posted recently about having a religious issue and finally finding a surgeon to agree to no blood transfusion. Good Luck--this is unfortunately considered an elective procedure and many surgeons are not willing to risk your life or their license in such a situation.
jrbartlett
on 6/2/04 6:14 am - Arlington, TN
can you transfuse if you give your own blood ahead of time?
tinyTNgirl
on 6/2/04 6:47 am - TN
Hi Neda. I had my surgery 1 week ago and didnt require a blood transfusion. I'd watched an rny on the internet before my surgery where they quoted the blood loss is typically 1 teaspoon to a max of 1 cup. I wouldnt think, barring complications, that you'd need a transfusion. However, if you start going to the hospital lab now, they can draw your own blood and store it so that if need be, you can get your own blood back. Hope this helps. God bless! Melanie
ShrinkingKatie
on 6/2/04 6:49 am - Crossville, TN
Hi Neda, Congrats on getting your letter of approval! Now about the blood transfusion - How do you know your going to need one, already? Just asking?! However, I had surgery in Clarksville and during surgery my blood levels went really low to the point - The doctor did want to give me a blood transfusion but thankfully my parents asked them to hold it out. I ended up in ICU for 2 days and thankfully was alright. They keep a very close eye on me the entire time though. Good luck finding a doctor and again, Congrats on getting approved! -Katie
TraumaRN
on 6/2/04 11:15 am - COVINGTON, TN
I know what you mean Katie....at Dr. McGrath's office you pay $350.00 for a year's worth of follow-ups with Ginger the dietician and then you go to see her once a year for your co-pay amount.....I haven't heard anything regarding life-time care. Also Neda....coming from a medical prosepective....not many surgeons will operate on someone electively if they refuse blood transfusions. It's a malpractice thing. I believe that you can probably donate your own blood and receive it without it interfering with your religion. I'm not positive but maybe you should look into it.
ShrinkingKatie
on 6/2/04 11:40 pm - Crossville, TN
Doesn't your insurance pay for the follow-up appointments, after surgery? That sounds odd but what do I know! LOL!
CarolynInHuntsville
on 6/3/04 6:12 am - Alabama, AL
Katie...I can't speak for the WLS follow-ups.... BUT, I have had surgery nine times and each time, the follow up care was included in the surgeon's original fee. I did not even have to pay office visit co-pays for the follow-up visits. I can not imagine that WLS would be any different. NOW--No singling out any surgeon or group of surgeons---but, I am afraid that some surgeons are in this business simply because it is a big money market. I agree that surgeons have a right to make a decent living---they went through a lot of school and training to get to where they are, but they should not take advantage of people who are desperately seeking help to better their lives. Again, I feel it is a very small group of surgeons who would be guilty of this, but unfortunately, I do believe that they exist.
Beckey D.
on 6/3/04 4:15 am - Sale Creek, TN
Neda, I called around and the first thing I'd ask before even making an appt is if they operate on Jehovah's Witnesses who do not accept blood transfusions. I got lots of no's but Dr. Watson (and I'd guess his partner) said they'd be happy to. I'm very happy with the job Dr. Watson did. However, they may ask for up front money (2,500) as they did from me. BUT, my ins had said they'd pre-certify it but not pre-approve it so that may be why I had to pay some up front. If you need to talk more feel free to email me at [email protected] or [email protected] Hugs, Beckey 2/13/04 -68lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics