concern

Newsexyme
on 5/26/04 10:44 pm - Memphis, Tn
I just wanted to know did anyone have to lose weight in order to get an appointment to see the surgeon or to have surgery. I just wanted to know because I didnt want to wait until the last minute. Is their a certain weigh requirement for the different type of surgerys. I know with the lapband there is.
TraumaRN
on 5/27/04 12:30 am - COVINGTON, TN
What Dr. are you going to? I know I didn't have to lose any weight.
ShrinkingKatie
on 5/27/04 1:01 am - Crossville, TN
Hi Shamal! I'm really on the higher side when it comes to weight, it appears from peoples profiles. Ugh I suck! However, even I didn't have to loss weight before surgery but I do recall a few people had to go on a liquid diet before surgery - it all depends on your doctor. Best thing to do is just call or make an appointment to talk! Good luck, Katie
jrbartlett
on 5/27/04 2:24 am - Arlington, TN
yes, my doctor requires that I lose weight before the pre-op. I have been told if I gain weight the surgery will be canceled.
T H.
on 5/27/04 7:33 am - NH
Shamal, I had a relatively high BMI and my doctor required me to go on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. It was not a fun experience but it was designed to reduce my middle (where I was relatively thick) and shrink my liver in a effort to hopefully make me more of a candidate for laproscopic. Fortuntely through the support of the people here on this board and my family I was able to get down enough to be able to have my surgery done lap. My doctor told me that there is no real weight limit but that they cannot know if they can do laproscopi****il they get a person on the table (but they can prep to try and make it more probable) as the patient welfare is the main concern and if they have to convert to open during the operation or even at the end if there are leaks or bleeding that they would do it if needed. Hopefully your doctor will answer any questions you might have like this.
Most Active
Recent Topics