Vanderbilt Univ. - HNC (TN)

Qty Liz
on 5/26/04 12:11 am - Nashville, TN
Is it just me or what? It seems to me that some of the staff there is just not willing to help you out any! I dont like that chic Myra. I met with my surgeon on May 4th and til this day I have not yet heard anything from them so I called them yesterday (had to leave a vcml) and she called back this morning and told me that she did not have access to this kind of information that all I had to do was "WAIT"! I informed her that I have been calling my insurance company every other day since a week after my initial consultation to find out if they had sent them a letter requesting approval and they [UHC] do not have anything...so I told her that, and asked her to please put me in contact with the dept or person that has this information and she gave me this excuse of not being able to give that to me. That they are swamped with other files! Can you believe that! She said she would send them an email and get back to me when they got back to her...which will be NEVER! When I first started this process I was gonna have it done at Centennial Med. Ctr, but since my Dr was out of network, i switched to avoid out-of-pcoket up front expenses...but i remember that they had two (VERY NICE) ladies that you could call or email and ask the status of your approval! I know Vandy is a good hospital, but I think some people just need to find a better job if they cant be caring and sensitive this type of issue! Maybe... just dont like her...didnt like her from the get-go! Sorry, I just had to vent! I am just soooo READY to have this done! I TOO WANT TO BE A LOSER!!!! Liz - Nashville, TN 311lbs-53BMI
T H.
on 5/26/04 7:26 am - NH
Liz, Wow, that is annoying. I opted to go to Centennial as "out of pocket" but they signed a deal before my surgery with my provider so it worked out for me but I can understand your frustration. Seems like they could at least be a little more sympathetic. Not to add fuel to your fire but you're right about Centennial. Lisa was my insurance coordinator and she was DA BOMB!!! I emailed her and she was always so patient with me and is still such a friendly person everytime I see her during follow-up visits. I know some people that have had really good experiences with Vanderbilt so maybe this is not indicative and they were just in a squeeze at the moment. Hang in there. Can you call the member coordinators at UHC and ask them about the status???
jrbartlett
on 5/26/04 8:36 am - Arlington, TN
I dont know about you but I would question if I want to be operated on where they act like that> the way you are treated now will be the same after surgery or worse.
ShrinkingKatie
on 5/26/04 12:32 pm - Crossville, TN
Oh honey - I was suppose to go to Vanderbuilt but get this - A week before Christmas 2002, I got a letter from them saying.... "Opps - After January 2003, we will no longer be taking your insurance. If we can help you find a new doctor or if you have any questions, call us... blah blah blah" Mind you, I was already approved for sugery by my insurance company and I saw the doctor that November.... If they knew they weren't going to take my insurance, I don't see why they wasted my time or theres. That hospital sucks! Sorry to say! I'm not sure who all takes your insurance but from what you just wrote - I'd look for a new doctor, if I were you. GOod luck! -Katie
kymt
on 5/26/04 2:38 pm - nashville, TN
i am also going to vandy.and my problem is about the same as yours im not hearing anying back from them.i saw the surgeon may11,04 and i was told that my info was sent to the insurance already but when i called them they said they dont have anything.im kind of lost here because i have a feeling i need to submit more info to get approved but need vndy to send for it for me.i guess what i need to do is just go pay to get my records my self but do i give it to vandy or send it to my insurance myself?
Timothy P.
on 5/27/04 9:58 am - Franklin, TN
Calm down! VUMC is about three months behind as respects to scheduling surgeries. They do not seek insurance approval until they can see where you fit into the schedule. As respects to Centennial, great place but the do not take all the insurance company plans that VUMC does. Be patient. It will happen soon enough! It took me two years to have my surgery. I did it at VUMC by choice and do not regret it.
kymt
on 5/27/04 10:55 am - nashville, TN
so they are telling a lie when they said they have sent my info off then lol ok good to know.
ShrinkingKatie
on 5/28/04 4:50 am - Crossville, TN
Hmmm that sounds kinda like bull **** Tim - They KNEW I was approved by surgery and by the doctor, I even had a date before January 2003 also. They still ditched me! Sounds like that hospital needs to get there act together a bit. Especially when you compare them to OTHER hospitals in Tennessee. However, now that I've had my surgery and all is done - I'm completely happy I didn't end up at Vandy but that's just my silly opinion. I wish you all the best of luck - thats having to deal with Vandy though! I'm sure your time will come soon or else keep calling till you get some information! Best wishes, Katie
D.Daisy
on 5/28/04 12:26 am - TN
I can only tell you that Cenntenial is very prompt, professional and they seem to have more experience at WLS(surgeons). My friend had surgery at vanderbilt, they didn't imform her about vitamins(B12). She had difficulties and tried to call her doctor's office, no response. no after office messages, nothing. I went out of network to Centennial. It cost a few hundred more but it was worth the extra money.
tinyTNgirl
on 5/28/04 5:29 am - TN
I second everything Daisy said. Centennial took incredible care of me while I was there this week. They all hugged me when my discharge was done. The staff there is so compassionate and helpful. I loved them all. My surgeons group has the most bariatric experience in Tennessee, their using Centennial was icing on the cake. God bless all of you! Melanie
Most Active
Recent Topics