what to take to the hospital

msjadedpearls
on 5/8/04 10:32 am - unicoi, TN
hey how is everyone ? i just wanted to see if anyone that has had surgery can give a list of things i should take with me.thanks lisa
debbiev
on 5/8/04 12:28 pm - Abilene, TX
Hi Lisa! I took a gown or robe, slippers, socks, chapstick, toothbrush, hairbrush uhmmmm...I had a lap RNY, so I was only in for one night. That was about all I needed. I hope all goes well for you!! Blessings, Debbie V.
emerging_butterfly
on 5/8/04 3:13 pm - Columbia, SC
I have seen chapstick listed many times on what to take to the hospital. Maybe I am dense, but I am not totally sure why this is needed. I have never been in the hospital or had any kind of surgery so I am clueless as to what to take. Susan {!}
CarolynInHuntsville
on 5/8/04 11:14 pm - Alabama, AL
Chapstick is useful because you will have a dry mouth after surgery from your mouth being open the entire time of surgery as well as you lips will be dry because you will not have had anything to drink for some time before the surgery....and it will be some time after surgery before you get anything to drink as well. The chapstick just helps to keep your lips a little moister and more comfortable. You are also give a medication just prior to or while in surgery to dry up excess mucous so that you do not aspirate during the surgical procedure.
Timothy P.
on 5/8/04 10:47 pm - Franklin, TN
1. Robe 2. Non-slip Sole Slippers - you will be walking the next day. 3. Clip On Fan - While the rooms will be cold, the pain meds can make you warm. 4. Toothbrush and toothpaste 5. Your brand of deodorant - hospitals use industrial strength and it smells worse than your own body odor. 6. A cheery disposition - your surgery day should be treated like your birthday or rather your re-birthday. 7. A list of friend's telephone numbers to call them and let them know your progress.
Candik2
on 5/9/04 2:38 pm - South Central, TN
I have definately heard more than once chapstick & a fan. Other than that I couldn't tell ya, never had any type of surgery before (if you don't count my episiotomy sorry guys) so hopefully some of these other folks can help us both out! Good luck, Candi
Most Active
Recent Topics