Psych Eval

TraumaRN
on 5/7/04 1:45 am - COVINGTON, TN
Hey everyone, Just got back from my psych eval. Can you believe I was in there for a total of 20 minutes and that was it. I had planned on 3 hours or more just from what everyone here has told me about them. The Psychiatrist told me all he needed was the information, no testing, and he would be sending it off to my surgeon on Monday. I have my dietician eval with Ginger on Tuesday so I'm glad it will be there in time. I'm betting by the end of this month that I will have an appointment with Dr. McGrath-Weaver. That means surgery by the end of June or the beginning of July. Things are moving very fast and I'm just getting more and more excited. Anne
ShrinkingKatie
on 5/7/04 3:39 am - Crossville, TN
I don't want to be the one to bust your bubble but... That isn't a good thing that your psychiatrist didn't ask any questions or do any of the testing on you. It is quite an important step to having surgery because there is a huge emotional change afterwards even if you don't believe it now. Just my 2 cents.
tinyTNgirl
on 5/7/04 2:13 pm - TN
Katie, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was just saying the very same things to my husband as I read this post, then scrolled down and you posted the same. I've been told ahead of time my psych eval will be 3 hours, 2 hours to do the test, and 1 hour to talk with the psychiatrist. I'm having mine Tuesday. God bless!! Melanie
TraumaRN
on 5/7/04 2:44 pm - COVINGTON, TN
I didn't say that he didn't ask questions. He didn't give me a test to take though. He followed what my surgeon had outlined for him to do. I assume that if I'm having a difficult time with the surgery and the life changes I can make an appointment with him to see him again. I know that my insurance told him that I could go 5-6 times in t his calendar year. I asked him if there was anything else he needed from me and he said no. Please be supportive. I know when I post on this site, even if I don't agree with what is said I do post a positive remark. I'm a registered nurse and am full aware of what is going to happen with this surgery, both physical and emotionally. I have researched this surgery for over a year before making a decision to go through with it. It pains me to see people that are non-professional making professional remarks. I guess maybe this wasn't the best idea I had trying to support people on this site. Maybe I should just talk to the people that I am in the support group with and drop off this site. So much for bursting someone's bubble about being happy that things are progressing. Have a great day. Anne
tinyTNgirl
on 5/8/04 12:39 am - TN
Hi Anne. I think its unfortunate that you took what we said as a personal attack on you. We certainly arent trying to put you on the defensive or be unsupportive. I, myself, compared your experience to what i've observed on this site, as well as what i've been prepared for by my surgical group. As for your comment on non professional people, I'm a nurse as well. With the 10 years experience I have, I know that I have no idea how i'll react to the changes that take place within me. I'd like to think i'm as resiliant as superman and can take anything thrown my way. In reality, i've seen many posts on here of women just like me that weren't expecting feelings that they've had. Please please understand that I was in no way putting you or your psychiatrist down. I simply stated my first reaction that your experience isnt the norm that i've observed here. I would hate to see you drop the OH family but support you in what ever decisions you make. You know whats best for you. God bless you! Melanie
ShrinkingKatie
on 5/10/04 2:12 am - Crossville, TN
You know - I read this posting the other day and was just blown away with your reply. You posted here wanting our advice and then you trash us because we did so. These message boards aren't here just to give you the happy cheery replies that you want. However, if your so professional in the medical field, how come your even needing to go and have this major surgery? If your so damn smart you wouldn't of had a weight problem - Geez, maybe that's why you need to take that 500+ question test? You may think its a waste of time but in reality its a trick test to make sure your READY for such a HUGE change in your life. And I'll be honest, even I thought it was a waste of time until the doctor explained WHY he wanted me to have done. Anyways, Good luck.... I hope at the end all this doesn't bite ya in the ass especially with the insurance companies, however you seem to be the kind that will come back and rub it in our faces if it doesn't give you a problem. So whatever. Best wishes on your new life. -Katie
CarolynInHuntsville
on 5/10/04 6:16 am - Alabama, AL
Wow...a bit extreme. Did you wake up having a bad day?
TraumaRN
on 5/10/04 7:26 am - COVINGTON, TN
This was not the place for bashing or didn't you know that? I don't think that you know enough about me to voice the opinions that you just placed. Who do you think you are? I won't say what I'd like to to you because as I said.......this isn't the place. I have a weight problem. so do you. You have no idea as to the why's, what's and how's and it's a sad day when one fat person can tell another that the reason why they are heavy is because they have mental problems. Are you saying that you do? Or are you saying that now that you've taken the 500+ test that eitehr you shouldn't have needed to have weight loss surgery or that now you don't need to? Questioning my intelligence is really sad. I have been a registered nurse for over 14 years, I never said that I was an authority, but I can see that you are. Congratulations on your intelligence.... maybe someday you'll use it. Like I said in the beginning, what I'd like to say to you I won't, I don't want to hurt innocent people on this site with my comments. Oh, but you wouldn't know anything about that would you?
ShrinkingKatie
on 5/10/04 12:38 pm - Crossville, TN
LOL Carolyn - I'm fine! I actually woke up in a great mood and my energy is coming back since surgery. I also lost over 60 pounds and feeling fantastic. I just didn't care for her reply that she gave us. And Anne - If you feel the 'need' to tell me anything in private, my e-mail is on my website. I think you need to go re-read your 2nd posting on here. Have a nice day. -Katie
CarolynInHuntsville
on 5/11/04 6:00 am - Alabama, AL
See--stories like that make me want to have surgery. About 7 weeks out and you have lost 60 pounds. I only want to loose about 75 total. If I only knew I would loose that fast..... CONGRATS on your success!
Most Active
Recent Topics