2ND STEP...

VFLOYD
on 4/20/04 7:48 am - HOLLY SPRINGS, MS
I received my Information from Dr. McGrath Weaver's office on 04/16/2004. I completed and returned the pkg. today.. Following is a copy of the letter I encosed with my information.. I would like to share this with you all because I know every one here understands. April 19, 2004 Leslie Albers Saint Francis Hospital Center for Surgical Weight Loss 5959 Park Avenue Memphis Tn 38119 Ms. Albers, I would like to take a moment and share with you some details about myself. I'm a 43-year-old female, 5' 5" and weigh 293 lbs. My BMI are 48.8 Morbidly obese, which is only 1.2 points away from severely obesity. I've been overweight all my life. I vividly recall the verbally humiliation as a child but somehow it really hit home at in 1972. I remember out weighing all of my seventh grade classmates during a school physical I weighed 155 lbs. I remember my dieting journey started at the age of 12 with starving my self, consuming only water for time periods up to two weeks. Over the past 30 years I have made numerous attempts to achieve weight loss by dietary means that include the following plans, phen phen, xenical, Adipex, Dexatrim, Accutrim, Weigh****chers, Atkins Diet, Slim Fast, Herbs, Mayo Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, California Diet, Grapefruit Diet, 1,200 cal, 1,500cal, Shape up America, and countless other diet fads and weight loss miracles advertised on the front of Woman's Day or any other magazine located at the check out counter. Due to shortness of breath and fatigue my exercises abilities have diminished to only walking. With my BMI of 48.8 I'm classified as Morbidly obese and have the following illness associated with my weight. Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes, peripheral edema, lower back pain, incontinence, irritable bowel syndrome, shortness of breath, knee pain, loud snoring, extremely fatigue, and depression. I currently take 5 prescriptions daily and another will be added if my Triglycerides are still elevated when I'm scheduled for another blood test. My primary care physician Dr. Humphrey, refer me to see a cardiologist yearly. I'm a patient of Cardiologist, Dr. Eric K. Guerra. Upon my initial visit several years ago he spoke with me about weight loss surgery. I recently visited him 03/2004 and he insisted again that I talked with Dr. Humphrey's about a weight loss program. Please let your teams know I have researched weight loss surgery, not only the successes but also the risks. I've read wonderful stories and sad stories of others who lost their lives. It has not been an easy decision to make. I'm not lazy, a cop out, or any of those other cliché's associated with obese individuals. I have given it my best personally and supervised. I 've struggled all my life physically, mentally, and emotionally due to my weight. If I don't do something obesity will take my life, and I rather die trying to live than just continue this downward spiral. I love life too much to give up. I'm motivated and determine to use the skill that will be given me through this surgery to make this procedure a success. I have a very strong support group; my family and friends, who over the years have watch me suffer both physically and emotionally due to the effects of obesity. Four word sum up how I feel "I WANT TO LIVE" Please help me achieve this dream. Sincerely
dlejeune
on 4/20/04 9:11 am - Cordova, TN
Hi Valerie, I wanted to wish you luck on your package being accepted by insurance. Your letter reflected your struggles and commitment to something better! I had surgery with Dr. McGrath Weaver on Mar 18th and am so glad I did. She is wonderful and so are Leslie and Ginger. Debra
TraumaRN
on 4/20/04 5:28 pm - COVINGTON, TN
Hi Valerie, I also have just sent in all of my information to Dr. McGrath-Weaver's office. All of her office staff have been so nice to me so far. I have my psyc eval set for May 7th and I am meeting with Ginger for my dietary eval on May 11th. I am planning on starting her dietician classes on the 5th of May. If not definitely on the 12th. We are doing this so closely together we should be support for each other. I will hopefully meet you at some of the dietary classes that are mandatory. I did a lot of research about bariatric surgery and the surgeons available in Memphis. I fortunately have an inside track being that I work with surgeons on a daily basis at the MED in the trauma unit. I asked around and 90% of the surgeons told me that the "only" person that should do this surgery for me was Dr. McGrath-Weaver. She has the most experience and education in laparscopic surgery. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope to meet you one day. Anne
VFLOYD
on 4/21/04 6:07 am - HOLLY SPRINGS, MS
Thanks Anne, after you returned your pkg. to the doctors what was your next step? Should I wait to hear from Dr. McGrath's office before I get my referrals from My Primary Physician? For the Sleep Study, ECT... CIGNA HMO, informed me my poliy reads, if the surgury was medically necessary it would be covered at 100%.. I find that kinda hard to believe. I ready to get the show on the road!!! I look forward to meeting you in the near future..
TraumaRN
on 4/21/04 11:45 pm - COVINGTON, TN
Valerie, When I got my acceptance letter I immediately started making phone calls. I did this just this past Monday. I already have seen my primary physician, gotten the blood work and the EKG done. I am going for the chest x-ry today. I did not have to have a sleep study or anything else for that matter, I guess until they interpret the blood work and such. I do already have my appointment with the Psychiatrist and when I got that appointment I called the office and spoke with Ginger. She gave me an appointment to come and see her for her initial evaluation. She told me that I could start the classes on the 5th of May if I wanted to but that I had to have the program fee in prior to that time. I am mailing her some money again today and then again next week, so I should have it paid for prior to that time. Hope this helps. Anne
della L.
on 4/20/04 10:25 am - salisbury, nc
hey valerie, I wish you all the luck on your wls journey. I had surgery on 10/06/03 by dr mcgrath-weaver and she is wonderful as well as her staff. if you have any questions PLEASE email me. della
Most Active
Recent Topics