Hospital Stay...

ShrinkingKatie
on 3/11/04 9:22 pm - Crossville, TN
Hello Ya'll! My surgery is 12 days and I was wondering what all of you took to the hospital with you? I know I'll be there for 5 days -- I just thought I'd start to gather things because after the OP appointment on the 18th, I'm just gonna wanna sit back and try my hardest not to start freaking out. So... Any suggestions would be great. Also if you have any suggestions on what I should have at my house for when I get home would be great too. I already bought chicken broth 98% fat free, apple sauce no sugar added, pop sickles sugar free, blender, carnation instant breakfast no sugar added..... Did anyone buy baby food and if so what kind? I'm not gonna buy the veggie or fruit because I figured we can make our own, which will probably taste a big better! Thanks again! Hugs~ Katie
kimmietn
on 3/11/04 9:37 pm - Maryville, TN
Katie, Pack light! There is very little that you should need in the hospital. 1. Robe and slippers 2. Personal care products (include pads...many women start after surgery and the hospitals seem to only have the ones that maternity uses) 3. Book or magazines 4. Pillows...might need those on the ride home 5. If you are Hot natured some people take a fan to keep cool 6. Two sets of very loose fitting clothing and comfortable shoes Really that is it! FOOD..did your doc suggest the carnation instant breakfast? That is very high in carbs. Honestly you would do better to buy protein powder instead, more protein and less carbs/sugar. There is no need to buy baby food as it is high in sugar. When you can begin eating foods if needed most things can be mashed with a fork, chewed well or put in the blender. KimmieTN
ShrinkingKatie
on 3/11/04 9:46 pm - Crossville, TN
I'll note that about the pillows and blanket for the car! Its about a 2 hour ride home! Ick! However, my doctor did suggest carnation instant breakfast - you can buy it in "No Sugar Added" which is alot less calories, sugar, and etc. It taste pretty good too. The nurse said on the phone they'd talk to me about the after diet during my OP appointment though -- The dietician (sp?) I went to here in town didn't know anything about the gastric bypass diet; Such a waste of money. Did anyone pick up fruit drinks with no sugar added? You can find them at like 15 calories a glass/no sugar. Just wondering. I'm trying to gather as much as possible because I know I won't wanna go anywhere for awhile after surgery. However, I still need to find the DVD in "Walk Away The Pounds"!
donnami
on 3/11/04 10:14 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
Hi Katie, Just happened to be looking at the Tenn. board. My surgery is the 18th so I scan the board for ideas. Just wanted to share with you that my doc also suggests Carnation Instant Breakfast sf. I have done some tast testing and to boost the protein I added a scoop of (I think it was carb solutions brand) chocolate flavored protein powder. It was very good and added 10 grams of protein. I buy it at Wal-Mart here. Also the canned Carb Solutions at Wal-mart are very good as is the Atkins brand. Good luck to you.(and me too!). Donna
ShrinkingKatie
on 3/15/04 12:40 am - Crossville, TN
Thanks Ya'll for your reply! Do you think Crystal light is better then Sugar free kool-aid? Just wondering. I'll ask my doctor about the protein powder -- I've never seen them before though. Hugs~
Sherry B.
on 3/13/04 9:28 am - Waverly, TN
Hi Katie, I am 2 wks postop. All I took to the hospital was Crystal Light. The hospital in Nashville supplied everything else for me, even sugar free popsicles. I only had to stay from Wed through Fri evening and got to come home. Mine was done Laparoscopically. He did not have to do an open case thank goodness. I have been back to the dr one time so far and lost 13 lbs in my first 9 days, but 2 others lost 18 and 27 lbs each. When I got home, I got the Sport protein drink and I am told the ABBA protein was the best. The sport protein was not too good and I disguished it in sugarfree koolaid to get it down and get my fluids down. Sugar free jello was good also. Good luck to you.l
Most Active
Recent Topics