So very confused!!

Angie H.
on 7/25/11 10:44 am - TN
I am thinking of switching doctors... My doctor only does sleeve and band. I started out wanting a band (didn't know about the sleeve) but learned a lot about the sleeve and a lot of not so great about the band. I started thinging that the sleeve would be a better choice for me... That is fine EXCEPT my insurance only pays for the sleeve it you have had complications with adhesions from a previous surgery or multiple surgeries.. I am not sure that I will quailfy. I did have a failed attempt at tie-ing my tubes becasuse of scar tissue... don't know if that is the same thing....

ANYWAY... if I can't have the sleeve, I am thinking that I want the RNY... which would mean that I have to switch to a doctor in Nashville. (Dr Woodman is the only doctor in Memphis that my ins covers and as I said above, he doesn't do RNY)

Advice please!!!! How big of a headache will it be to start with a new doc? I have done my supervised diet, nutrition, behavior mod, had nutrition counseling, psych eval...

Thanks for any advice!!!! My head feels like it is swirling. I just don't think I want the band now that I am more educated.

I guess I need to decide ASAP as I am supposed to get the call  early this week to schedule lab work and ekg, and possible an upper endoscope....

RhondaDenise
on 7/25/11 11:33 am - Crossville, TN
Not that I know anything about insurance or how hard it would be to change docs but I had Dr. Houston in Nashville.   He did my DS.  He also does RNY.

I like him alot and so glad I found him.

I totally love my DS.

The girls in the office are very helpful, so it couldn't hurt to call them.

Good luck to you.

KellyJTn
on 7/26/11 12:43 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Not sure where you are from, but Dr. Boyce in Knoxville does RNY.  I had the DS with him, and he's really a great surgeon. I'm honestly not sure how difficult it would be switching Drs at this point. Not sure if they would accept what you've already done, or make you start all over. Good luck though!

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Paula R.
on 7/26/11 11:07 am - White House, TN
I'm not sure how hard it would be to switch surgeons.  My advice would be to make sure you have documentation of all the things you have already done to take to a new surgeon.  It would make it easier for the insurance person to submit everything.  Try to get copies of everything from your current doctor's office--you have the right to these. I would call my insurance company and find out which surgeons they do cover that are nearby.  Good luck.
bufedwards
on 7/28/11 9:11 am - Hustonville, KY
If you are planning on going to Nashville, I would highly recommend Dr. Houston. He is an excellent surgeon and his staff will be able to help you with all the insurance requirements that you have already met. Shouldn't be too big a deal.

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Jean M.
on 7/29/11 10:45 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
This won't directly answer your question, but it's something I think you need to consider when deciding how to proceed.

I live in NW Tennessee and know a variety of WLS patients in this area. I've also listened to other patients talking in the waiting room at my surgeon's office (Dr. Weaver at St. Francis in Memphis).  Not once have I heard anything good about Dr. Woodman. Apparently he's technically a good surgeon but has the bedside manner of Attila the Hun. I've heard a lot of stories of Woodman chastising, scolding, and/or yelling at struggling patients, and stories of patients leaving his office in tears, and stories of patients desperate to find a new surgeon after dealing with Woodman. Since success with the band requires a lot of aftercare and a good working relationship with your surgeon, I would not have band surgery done by Dr. Woodman.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active
Recent Topics