When Obesity Is A Crime

Truly Trina
on 5/23/11 2:30 am - Nashville, TN
Did anyone read the current issue of "The City Paper" issue date of 5/23/11?

The featured article of the magazine is "When Obesity is a Crime". A look at why doctors are getting the Department of Children's Services involved in cases of childhood obesity.

Should parents now be afraid to take their children to the doctor?

I have my own critical thinking evaluation of this article, however I would love to hear an input from you.  This story may be a real eyeopener for some that haven't thought along these measures.

Truly Trina would love to hear your thoughts......

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

melsreturn
on 6/2/11 10:01 am - Madison, TN
I'm of the opinion that the government needs to provide some sort of help for parents.  Why could they not provide some sort of tax break or perk for those parents who attend some type of nutritional class as to teach their children the proper foods to eat?  Many in our society do not know how to decipher food labels...  I was one of those until I went into a program where they taught me what a lot of those things mean.  Still..  there are lots of things on labels that are confusing, names you cannot pronounce, etc....  Instead of stepping in and taking children away or accusing them of abuse, there needs to be some sort of education that can be provided.  Parents don't think they abuse their kids when they overfeed or let them endulge.  Quite the opposite:  many parents see it as love and giving love, showing their love (as my mother used to do...  she couldn't give us much in the form of material possessions, but she could whip up a wonderful batch of chocolate or peanut butter fudge....  she could make pies, and cakes, and cookies to show us just how much we mean to her!)  I know, it might sound strange, but there are people who feed others to show love.

It is sad, but I do agree with one aspect...  something really needs to be done.  Just not so certain that getting authorities involved is the answer.

Most Active
Recent Topics