Insurance coverage post surgery

TennPam
on 4/22/11 2:23 pm
Has anyone found an insurance company that will insure you after you have had GBS?  My husband's company closed and we have continued our insurance policy at a rate of $1400 a month for our family of three.  I seem to be the main reason we cannot get insurance anywhere else.  Every insurance company we have spoken with denies me coverage because of the gastric bypass.  I need help folks because  our deductibles are $5000 a piece and we haven't been to the doctor in two years because of this and the fact that my hubby is still unemployed.  We would love to have a cheaper premium but I seem to be preventing this.  Anyone?
Pam Davis
on 4/22/11 10:17 pm - Franklin, TN
I don't have a solution as to insurer that will cover, but let's work through what you're currently paying. At $1400/month, that's $16,800 a year and you each have a $5000 deductible so you haven't gone to the doctor. That means you're currently paying $16,800 a year and not accessing the care you need. Many physicians and hospitals have reduced rates when you have no insurance and pay in cash up front. I'm not saying drop your insurance, I'm just pointing out that by going through your insurance you could potentially pay over $30,000 out of pocket in a year between premiums and deductibles as opposed to paying the healthcare provider directly. This may be very worthwile especially if you have no big complications or health concerns at present and are looking at more of an annual visit.
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Most Active
Recent Topics