Return Visit

Trianni
on 2/11/11 11:15 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
It's been nearly two years since I signed on to OH, much less posted on the Tennessee forum. I've had to change doctors for insurance reasons which was just as well. After three years with one clinic and getting no closer to submitting for approval much less having surgery it was time for a change. Now I'm feeling re-energized and confident in my decision. The only problem is I can't seem to update my OH profile. Oh well.

Last fall I began to seriously consider what lies ahead and what its going to involve and found that I'm feeling far more ready for those changes than I was in the past. After a fifth surgery on my bad ankle reality is knocking down the door. Somehow I managed to break the titanium orthopedic nail holding my ankle together and no one can explain how. But I've a suspicion my weight had something to do with it. That adds to the shame I feel about how heavy I am. 

At 331 lbs my family is eager for me to lose weight but they remain apathetic about my having surgery to help. I do have a support person who is a DS patient but she isn't part of my family so I'm not sure how much her support is going to do for me. But she has been there with me every step of the way so far. That's more than my family has done.

I took my first cruise in December and was only able to leave the ship once. The rest of the time, perhaps because of the broken nail, I remained on board because I couldn't walk to the end of the pier much less take a shore excursion or haunt the shops. It was such a disappointment for me not being able to enjoy the total cruise experience. But I plan to take another cruise in January 2012 and I want to be able to make up for my past disappointment.

I know this has probably been a boring post but I needed to share my feelings with people who perhaps understand where I'm coming from. I hope everyone is having a great night and looking forward to a wonderful weekend.

Rebecca
k9ophile
on 2/11/11 12:28 pm
I think most people who have weight problems can relate to some part of your story.  So many of us have had to sit on the sidelines and watch life go by.  My own weight problem kept me from getting knee surgery.  The doctor refused to do the surgery because he said I'd ruin the hardware at my weight.  Well, the weight is gone and I'm trying to screw up the courage to go back in for the knee surgery.  I am the biggest wimp in the world!  Yet I am glad to have had surgery.  I wish you well on your journey.  It's always so renewing to read about someone who has said, "Enough! " and is excited about the next step.  Thanks for sharing and don't be a stranger.  This place has been a life saver for me and can be for you as well.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Trianni
on 2/15/11 11:58 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
My weight is keeping me from having knee surgery, too. In fact my orthopedic's precise words were: "Yes, you have severe arthritis. Yes, you need surgery. But I'm not touching you until you lose a significant amount of weight." Then he went on to say that if I lost my excess weight we might be able to postpone the surgery indefinitely. In the meanwhile I hurt all the time, especially in cold and inclement weather.

Thank you for your encouraging words. It has been so nice to be able to come back and find myself welcomed almost as if I never left. I wish you the best in your journey as well!
Pam Davis
on 2/11/11 9:45 pm - Franklin, TN
Rebecca, glad to see you back on OH. There is such a great group of people on this board. Wishing you well with surgery.
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Most Active
Recent Topics