BCBS Federal Insurance question

Spanky123
on 1/19/11 6:55 am
I am looking into WLS surgery with dr boyce and have heard from several people on the VSG board that all they had to pay was the program fee plus thier deductible.  But when I was reading through our handbook, Doesnt the insurance pay only 80% of surgery and we are responsible for the rest?  That will add another 2-3 thousand! 
I asked the girl in the office and she said she thought that the pt's with BCBS Federal did only pay thier deductible. Does Boyce write off the rest b/c he is a preferred provider?  I just dont understand.
I dont want to pay that big program fee, then turn around and pay another 3 grand! 
Would love to hear from others who have same insurance and went through Boyce's office.
Thanks
Heather
southernlady5464
on 1/19/11 1:03 pm
Heather, call whoever handles your insurance. Or pull out your copy of your BCBS contract and read it.

The $3,000 program fee is separate from the rest of the surgery but they will provide you with a list of what it covers. They just won't provide you with the CPT codes. What I did was send a copy of that with a copy of my payment to MY BCBS and a claim form and I am hoping they will reimburse me for at least part of that $3000 based on the description of what is covered.

Not counting on it but hoping real hard.

To be honest, I think it stinks that they charge that out of network that way to get around filling it thru the insurance companies since most of what it coers are office visits, nutritionist visits and the exercise person which are ALL covered under many plans. They just want to get paid full rate not the insurance rate.

IF I could have, I would have gone out of state to a doctor who didn't even charge a "program fee" but my insurance company wouldn't pay even OUT of network coverage on anyone out of state.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Spanky123
on 1/20/11 9:19 am
Beside the program fee, how much did you end up paying for the surgery?  Do you have BCBS FED? 

while I have you on herre, what does dr boyce do for pain management post op?  I have never had surgery and am petrified of the pain.  Can you get a small pill instead of liquid lortab?  Someone told me they were able to take a very small pill (either demoral or dilaudid)  . 
Thanks
H
southernlady5464
on 1/21/11 5:36 am
I have BCBS Medicare not Federal, so not sure of your details. Mine is paying 100% as long as I stayed in TN and went to a COE. However, the Program Fee was paid out of Pocket, which is why I got the breakdown from his office and highlited what it covered. I hope to get as much back as I can.

Dr. B gives liquid Lortab unless it's not enough. My husband had his in NYC with Dr. Pomp a month ago and had morphine (the brat, LOL) but he has a different insurance than I do)

Depending on your surgery, you can handle up a pill up to the size of a small apsirin (but nothing that is NSAID based), just that size.

And you're welcome.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics