12/13 Sleever home: my story and advice for newbies

Cathy1_getting_my_gr
oove_back

on 12/16/10 12:08 pm, edited 12/16/10 12:13 pm - Kodak, TN
Had my sleeve and gb removal on 12/13. Got home afternoon of 12/14. My husband took off 3 days to help me and thank goodness, I really needed help with the kids. I was very sore, and had alot of gas pain and just overall weakness. Tuesday night and Wednesday morning were pretty bad, but Wed. afternoon it started getting better. Today, Thursday, I had overall a good day with some rough patches here and there. But I'm able to get in 75 g. clear liquid protein and a total of between 64 and 80 oz fluid....so I'm doing good with fluid intake. I just take tiny sips all day long. My main staples right now are water, Unjury strawberry protein drinks, Unjury chicken broth protein, and zero vitamin waters and propels. I take a chewable vitamin every day. and I take liquid hydrocodone for pain about 3-doses daily. 2 during the night and 1 at bedtime.  If my headache gets bad I mix in some natural fruit juice with my water to drin**** pops haven't worked so far, they make my sleeve cramp up. Warm stuff goes down really smooth. It so weird to feel/ hear your sleeve empty the first couple days, its like the bathtub drain after you drain the tub ! LOL so funny, but it eventually doesn't rumble as hard.

Whats difficult during the recovery is that my husband has now gone back to work and I have to take care of my 2 boys, 9 and 5, who have been off school now for 6 days straight due to snow/ ice ! So that is one big challenge making all their meals, but I am dealing with it well. I do miss food sometimes especially during meal prep for my family, but its not too bad.

My hospital stay was interesting.....I had my surg at UT med center. My surgeon was awesome, Dr. Matt Mancini. He came out to speak with my husband twice and was great. Gave me the option to either stay 2nd night or go home and I"m like, I'm outta here ! LOL...they had ALOT of trouble getting IVs in me....almost had to get a central line but ended up with 3 different peripheral IVs. My morphine pump was 3 hours late getting to my room post surgery which was very tough.......My night nurse was great ! (Francois/ male nurse) he was very knowledgeable, along with Matthew, the charge nurse on nights on 11E. However, both day shift nurses I got (Angela and Brigette) were fresh out of the womb of nursing school and didn't have a clue, so that was very difficult. They barely checked on me and didn't know how to address my needs much. I had an old nursing school friend named Kelly who was working that day, she came to check on me alot which I was very thankful.   Dr. Mancini's group has called to check and see how I'm doing , My first post op appt is 12/28. I have 6 small incisions on my belly, no drains.

My pain right now is mostly at night and in the morning, I take hydrocodone liquid. Its like a gas / aching pain/ pressure pain mostly. I also keep gas x strips handy they help alot ! 

Some advice on hospital stuff: bring Burts Bees lip balm for your lips....its petroleum free and can be used along with your oxygen. Also: try and get your morphine pump ordered PRIOR to your surgery and given to you in RECOVERY to be transferred with you to your room....prevents a future pharmacy delay of much needed pain medicine!  Pre op they gave me versed to help with anxiety, and it was great! Didn't put me to sleep but helped with anxiety and to help me relax.

Otherwise, I'm doing good. My biggest fear was waking up from the surgery in major pain....and it wasn't that bad. Now when the morphine pump was 3 hours late now that was bad, but initially right out of the wake up it was fine.

Initially you won't put out alot of urine...maybe trickles your first day, but then you'll have more each succeeding day. And you will have some diarrhea maybe once or twice daily. Someone told me to "never trust a fart after surgery" ! LOL  that is the BEST advice ! Sorry to get personal here but we're all friends, right?

So now I'm on the other side. I feel good about my decision and just pray I don't have complications. Trying to sip, walk, rest, repeat.....and for anyone nervous to have it done, don't be ! Its a great tool for all of us to use to get where we need to be. I'll post again soon but thanks everyone for all your support !
Cathy
CATHY            
Sniffles...
on 12/16/10 11:24 pm - Hendersonville, TN
Congratulations on starting your journey and I hope all continues to go well with your recovery!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
snippers
on 12/17/10 3:41 am - Beechgrove, TN
Glad you made it! Sounds like you are doing great!
Courtney S.
on 12/17/10 8:05 am
So glad you are through the surgery Cathy! Wishing you a speedy recovery and thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm so nervous and reading about other peoples surgeries helps to keep it in perspective. Thanks again! Big Hugs!!

27 Years Old, 5'2, VSG - 1/6/11
             WORDPRESS:
www.theallnewme.wordpress.com
            FACEBOOK:
www.facebook.com/courtney.stillman

volady357
on 12/17/10 8:03 pm - Knoxville, TN
So glad to hear ever thing is going good for u! Dr  Matt Mancini did my sugary also i love him and his staff i see u go back on 28 so do i what time is Ur app

Tammy

Tammy Parish

Cathy1_getting_my_gr
oove_back

on 12/17/10 11:51 pm - Kodak, TN
Hey Tammy - my appt is at 2pm on 12/28. keep in touch! I just sent you friend request.
CATHY            
TNmtnGirl
on 12/18/10 10:18 pm - Strawberry Plains, TN
Cathy,
So glad everything went ok for you.I am sooo.happy for you.Give me phone call sometime.
Lori D
Most Active
Recent Topics