Possible expansion of gastric banding procedures

Pam Davis
on 12/11/10 9:28 pm - Franklin, TN
Possible expansion of gastric banding procedures related to FDA advisory panel decision.

Read more about it in today's Tennessean.
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Denise M.
on 12/12/10 1:21 am
Hey Pam!

I saw the article from the link on Centennial's FB page--I've been in Monday night group with BIll and his wife Debbie since May and he is doing an AMAZING JOB!

I support the expansion of all WLS with the revised standards (lower BMI--from 35 to 30 WITH co-morbidities), but am not keen on it applying to the adjustable gastric banding only.

With respect to gastric banding, I have to say that it is a product.  And the committee chairperson, Karen Woods, MD, owns stock in Allergan (makers of the Lap-Band), which I find to be a conflict of interest, personally.

It just stinks to me of a tactic to drive up sales.  

The band can be an effective tool, as Bill has so clearly shown.  

But within my circle of WLS friends, I know of at least 10  bandsters who want revisions to a different surgery (including me), and about 5 who did revise from band to either VSG or DS and are much happier with their revision than they were with their bands.

The band is the least successful of the surgeries (weight loss and reduction of co-morbidities)  and requires the most extensive follow up.  It also doesn't work well for those with eating disorders.  The brain's impulses are much louder than the band signals.  I know this from personal experience.

IMHO, changing the BMI requirements for all surgeries and making the VSG and DS more accessible via insurance coverage would be the best idea.

Here's another article from CNN on the topic.
Most Active
Recent Topics