Today is my 2 year surgiversary!!

KittenLove
on 9/2/10 4:35 am - Around Knoxville, TN

I can remember so excitedly walking thru the hospital doors and even the nurses commenting on how excited I seemed - why yes, I certainly was! I was 318 lbs and ready to shed that suit. My blood sugar was 140 and that was with 2000 mg of daily metformin. I can even remember being the OR and moving to the surgical table and commenting on how cold it was in there - LOL! I heard them say, "good morning, Dr. Boyce!" and I was like, "I still can say no, right now!" to myself but I chose life.

So here I am, two years post op, hanging out between 134-138 lbs and a size 2/4. And my goal was 175 lbs and size 12/14. But here's the thing: THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE SCALE OR CLOTHING SIZES!!!!! This is about extending my lifespan and improving my quality of life.

I can run, I can tie my shoes, my husband can pick me up, I'm off all diabetic and bp meds, and by golly, I WEAR HEELS A LOT!! (aka my red ones that were the talk of the Friday evening reception at the recent OH conf in Cincy!)

I don't know what tomorrow, next week, or next year holds for me cuz i take it one day at a time, sometimes it's just one hour at a time. I like to eat and that hasn't changed. I make a concerted effort to eat healthy and to move. I have choices.

No matter what, I am grateful - for my awesome and totally hot husband, my sweet mama, my surgeon and his staff, my friends, and of course, you all for keeping me going some days (always been more of a lurker than a poster myself but that's due to Internet issues which is another issue in itself).

So, anyway, THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY (and here's my before pic):

Be happy. 

Pam Davis
on 9/2/10 10:32 pm - Franklin, TN
What a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. Congratulations, you are doing awesome and have a great handle on how to work the maintenance stage!
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Melissa W.
on 9/2/10 10:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Congrats and thanks for sharing! That made my day! I think all of us want it so bad and then as the days grow close I am sure we will have to also make the choice as you did to just choose to live. I am excited!
Susan J.
on 9/3/10 7:46 am - Madison, TN

I continue to be surprised by how much younger everyone looks in their after photo.

You look marvelous dear! I'm looking forward to meeting you when you are here for the Women's 1/2. We will have to make arrangements to hook up at the expo.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/10 10:05 am - TN
Fabulous! what an inspirational story!
Most Active
Recent Topics