@ Knoxville, advice about docs?

Cathy1_getting_my_gr
oove_back

on 8/21/10 7:46 am - Kodak, TN
Hi to everyone. Love this website...just got on this month. I am planning to have RNY sometime in December 2010. We just moved down here from NJ to TN....I live in Sevier county. I went to University of Tennessee/ Dr. Mancini's group......I didn't really know anyone so I just stuck with what I knew. Has anyone used this group or has anyone heard of them? Any feedback? I'm just curious.

My experience thus far has been fine, my only complaint is the wait to get in on an appt. You're not seen until at least 1 hour after your scheduled appt time, but other than that I am very happy with it. I'm attending my 4th visit out of 6 next week. I have United Healthcare which thanks goodness pays towards the procedure.

Kittenlove - thanks for responding a while back to my email ! I'm curious as to what else others in this forum might say.......

Thanks for your feedback - Cathy
TNmtnGirl
on 8/22/10 1:09 am - Strawberry Plains, TN
Cathy,
I am a patient of Dr Boyce's'. However, my husband works at univ of TN hospital.He works in surg. and has told me that people and personnel both speak highly of them(Mancini brothers). However, he doesn't know anything else about him. Hope this helps some.Good luck,sweetie.
Hugs,
Lori

any day above the ground is a good one.
Lori D.
RNY 9/2005; DS revision in planning stage for early 2011

KittenLove
on 8/23/10 11:56 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
Do you care to PM about your experience in teh last 5 years and why you're seeking a revision..just had my two year f/up yesterday adn I'm trying to plan for this long term...

Be happy. 

southernlady5464
on 8/23/10 12:13 am
Cathy,

Does your UHC pay 100% if you use a COE, I know ours does but only 80% if you use a non-COE center. Dr. Boyce's group is a COE center, UT isn't a COE.

However, Boyce charges a $3,000 program fee and will not break it out to diagnostic codes so that UHC will pay most of it, they want it paid in one lump sum up front. I don't know if UT/Mancini's group has a program fee so the difference between the two may come out in the wash.

We switched doctors completely and are heading to NY to Dr. Pomp. He is a COE and does not have a program fee. We had been with Boyce/Williams.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Nsg4Him
on 8/24/10 1:11 am - Sevierville, TN
Hi Cathy,
I also live in Sevier county.  I had my surgery in middle Tennessee.  I am having my follow up by Dr. Boyce. I lead a support group at LeConte Medical Center on the 3rd Monday of each month if you are interested.  It is not related to any particular surgeon although more of Dr Boyce's patients attend than any others because he does more surgeries in our area than any other surgeon.  I know Dr Matt Mancini very well and he is an excellent surgeon.  You will be in good hands with him, but you will not get the followup from his office that you will get from the Boyce/Williams group.  So, if you use him, you will have to be extra diligent to find and attend all the support groups that you can.  And exercise, exercise, exercise!  That is my 2 cents worth!

Marilyn
                      Smoky Mountain Obesity and WLS Support Group 
                    1/17 6:30 LeConte Medical Center              

Cathy1_getting_my_gr
oove_back

on 8/25/10 11:38 am - Kodak, TN
Thanks so much to everyone for their feedback!

Liz - I do have United Healthcare and didn't know that there was a diffference in reimbursement from a COE hospital vs. non COE.....so I'll have to call to find that out.....usually my insurance would cover 90%.....I will call tomorrow to find out. That is a good point. I think UT is on their way to becoming COE but unknown as to whether they have gotten it yet.
Thanks, Cathy
shannn
on 8/25/10 10:33 pm - Knoxville , TN
I had a DS with Dr. Boyce in July. I also have UHC and they paid half of the $3000 program fee. For that fee, you get a great deal of follow up care with a nutritionist, nurses, and exercise physiologist. I I don't really know much about UT's program, but I've heard good things about them.
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

Most Active
Recent Topics