Loosing weight before surgery

snippers
on 8/14/10 12:47 am - Beechgrove, TN
Hello all, just wondering if you think it's a good ideal to go on a diet before the pre-op diet or not. I have started a semi liquid protien diet, and have had some good results, but I am scared that once I have the surgery I might burn out. I was also wondering if anyone out there started with only 100 lbs to loose, how hard/difficult was it and how long did it take to loose it...thanks to all
C3m13p16
on 8/17/10 12:04 am - Knoxville, TN
I'm still at the beginning of my journey.  I'm 3 weeks post-op and I had to do the 2week pre-op liquid diet.  I also had to do 6 months of diet and exercise.  I started adding in protein about 3 months before surgery trying to find what would work best for me.  It doesn't hurt to start early, just make sure you are comfortable with your choices.  I wish I would have eaten a few more of my favorites before the pre-op diet just to say good-bye to them.

Christina

snippers
on 8/17/10 6:00 am - Beechgrove, TN
Thanks so much for your input, I had my 1st visit with the Dr today, and I plan to get myself used to what I will be eating. Good Luck!
Cathy1_getting_my_gr
oove_back

on 8/19/10 12:11 pm - Kodak, TN
I will be going to my 4th visit out of 6 pre-operatively....I've only lost about 4 lbs. so far. can't exercise much due to a bad knee. also, regarding diet, I've made some litle changes, but didn't want to lose too much weight prior to qualifying because I don't have many co-morbidities other than osteoarthritis knee and high cholesterol, so I didn't want to disqualify myself. But from the 4th visit onward I plan to get more on board.....I guess I wanted to say a "long goodbye" to food...!  But I'm totally committed to using this surgery as atool and being successful.
lptazbear66
on 8/20/10 2:30 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I had a little over 100 lbs to lose and I was also afraid of losing weight prior to being approved so instead I actually gained so I made it over 100.  Ok, so will disagree with that but what a way to go before the new start.  I loved it.  I hate whatever I wanted (which I didn't do before).  I did not pre diet and just ate all of my favs prior to surgery.  No negative results here except that the 1st 20 lbs I have lost are really what I had put on over the prior 6 mths.  I was lucky and insurance had no dieting requirements. 
Good luck and of course any dieting is good.

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
Most Active
Recent Topics