Tennessee Teachers and Insurance

mythreechildren2001
on 8/7/10 2:47 am, edited 8/7/10 3:47 am
I am a teacher, but I do not have insurance through the state. My insurance is through my husband's employer which was cheaper/better BUT it doesn't pay for bariatric surgery. I have recently learned that the state is opening insurance to EVERYBODY in Sept (not just new employees). Does anyone know if bariatric surgery will still be covered when the new insurace starts in January?

Thanks in advance :)
mythreechildren2001
on 9/3/10 10:30 pm
Well I now know that bariatric surgery will still be covered, BUT since I didn't take the insurance when I hired on I will have to pay a monthly penalty of $130 plus the cost of the premium for two years which might be around $25.  That's just for a single.  There would have been a penaly of nearly $300 if I take it for my whole family.

So for $150ish a month, I will be covered for wls.  If I pass it up now, I may never have the chance again to get the insurance.  Thoughts anyone?

snippers
on 9/3/10 10:55 pm - Beechgrove, TN

Just a thought, but my company had an exclusion that does not cover the surgery. I chose to be a selfpay client. My total was 19,000, and I chose to borrow against my 401k, and it will cost about $350 a month to pay back.....I am a Tn resd and really wish this state would help thoes of us that our companies do not cover....Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics