Semi-new with a question.

southernlady5464
on 6/23/10 1:18 pm
Susan J.
on 6/24/10 4:56 am - Madison, TN

But the information you posted was directed at someone who IS a surgical patient. I don't like to see newbies receive inaccurate information by people who don't have the experience to know otherwise.

I have seen too many post-ops suffer from serious deficiencies due to misinformation - some of it from undereducated doctors who direct their patients to use Flintstones vitamins and Tums for all of their vitamin needs, and other times because the patient does not fully understand the importance of a good vitamin regimen.

According to your earlier post, you are planning on having surgery. Once you are on the other side of the knife perhaps you will better understand the difference in the needs of a post-op and a non-op.

Our malabsorbtion of vitamins and minerals is for the rest of our life. Many times irreversible damage is done by the time symptoms show up or it is caught by bloodwork. That is why we stress good vitamins and a good regimen.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

southernlady5464
on 6/24/10 5:21 am
Susan J.
on 6/24/10 7:07 am - Madison, TN

Personal experience is fine but if someone takes vitamins based on that person's recommendations and they are not medically certified, they could be sued and lose everything they have. And that could even cause this site to be shut down.

The people with vitamin deficiencies have typically either followed poor vitamin instructions from their doctor or they have been lax in taking their vitamins. Sometimes someone will post about a specific problem and we will direct them to their doctor or to an endocrinologist. What we do share is information on where to find the best tasting vitamins that are specially formulated for our needs as well as stressing the need to take your vitamins every day.

someone from the DS board stepped in and had to start in. And this wasn't even HER forum.

But this is Charlees' forum. She lives in TN so this is very much HER forum. Since the OP is also having the DS, she was probably the best person to respond to her about vitamins for the post-op DSer.

I am not answering any more about this

I've never asked you for a response. You are the one who seems to feel the need to "educate" all of us about vitamin overdoses. I simply pointed out that for those of us having surgery, which the OP is, our vitamin needs are different than the general public. 

And, you will have some malabsorption even with the sleeve. It won't be to the same degree as the bypass or the DS but there will be some due to the reduced stomach size. If you are not aware of this, perhaps you need to spend some time on the VSG forum and see what they have to say about it.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

CharleeG
on 6/25/10 2:53 am - Jonesboro, AR
On June 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM Pacific Time, southernlady5464 wrote:
I have seen too many post-ops suffer from serious deficiencies due to misinformation - some of it from undereducated doctors who direct their patients to use Flintstones vitamins and Tums for all of their vitamin needs, and other times because the patient does not fully understand the importance of a good vitamin regimen.

I've yet to see other's degree in nutritional education that are posting vitamin information on this board as fact. Personal experience is fine but if someone takes vitamins based on that person's recommendations and they are not medically certified, they could be sued and lose everything they have. And that could even cause this site to be shut down.

What I post are links and excerpts to well known HONCode, Medical sites.

According to your earlier post, you are planning on having surgery. Once you are on the other side of the knife perhaps you will better understand the difference in the needs of a post-op and a non-op.

Yes, I am having surgery. I am planning on the sleeve because I do NOT want to have the hassle of malabsorption. My system has enough trouble and the DS is not an option anyway.

Yes, the OP is heading for surgery. She has not had it yet. Her original question had nothing to do with what was in the vitamins until someone from the DS board stepped in and had to start in. And this wasn't even HER forum. She even admits to sticking her nose in. Then the thread went off topic completely.

So I am apologizing to Kelly for that...she doesn't need to be bothered with this just before her surgery. And Susan, I am not answering any more about this.

Liz

Hi Liz, that was ME, you know, the one sticking her nose in. My surgeon is in TN. My follow up is in TN. I do belong on this board thankyewverymuch. You, however, are spouting inaccurate information to someone who is going to have the DS, a procedure you obviously know little about. Very few registered dieticians working with surgeons who perform the DS are educated about DS nutrition requirements and the surgeons themselves less so. As someone who not only has had the DS but has educated herself about the DS for months prior, I felt it was my responsibility to make sure the OP knew about other supplement options. Not that I owe you an explanation for anything, but I do feel you attacked me with NO provocation whatsoever. Defensive much? There's enough misinformation about the DS on the main board. I don't want to see it flung about like the gospel over here.

To the OP, please come to the DS board and educate yourself about your supplement needs. The recommended vites are inadequate. You and anyone else who has questions about the DS, supplements, malabsorption, etc. PLEASE ask here, ask on the DS board, PM me or one of the DS vets. Don't let someone who's been on this forum 2 weeks put you off with lengthy and inaccurate diatribes.

Susan J.
on 6/24/10 7:13 am - Madison, TN

Perhaps you can find someone at the local support group who would be willing to buy them off of you.

We have done that here in Nashville for vitamins and protein drinks/powders.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

Michael S.
on 6/24/10 8:25 am
LOL Hi Susan!

Well said!!

Michael.
melsreturn
on 6/24/10 11:05 am, edited 6/24/10 8:45 pm - Madison, TN
I kept looking around for the person from the DS board sticking in their nose...  But, I did not see any one who did not belong here.  Charlee does belong here!  We claim her as one of ours...  (even if she is in Arkansas, LOL haha!)   I was just a little confused there for a minute.  Anyway...  just sayin.

CharleeG
on 6/25/10 3:04 am - Jonesboro, AR

Thanks hunny!

jharrington8172
on 6/24/10 11:13 pm - Hermitage, TN
Wow - I just got done reading this thread.   I can chim in as a DSer who lives in TN... LOL.   You are going to need to get your vitamin D from vitalady.  I dont care how many multi AEDK you take - your D is going to be ****   My D was LOW - I was taking 3 MULTI AEDK a DAY - my D never broke 22.   I started Vitalady 50,000 IU D and in just 2 months it went up to 66.  

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

Most Active
Recent Topics