Semi-new with a question.

Michael S.
on 6/25/10 7:23 am
You can use a flex spending account regardless of where it is purchased because this is medically needed.  I generally purchase online and get reimbursed.

Michael.
Susan J.
on 6/25/10 1:48 am - Madison, TN
Sorry Charlee...I moved you to TN. I'm so used to you being here that I don't care where you lay your head. Like it or not, you are one of us! LOL

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

CharleeG
on 6/25/10 2:39 am - Jonesboro, AR
LOL Susan! I was a Memphian for 16 years, so do claim honorary Tennessean status, especially now. ;-)

Generic User_Name
on 6/22/10 5:39 am
Here is a comparison of New Life Vitamins with BA and Celebrate.

www.newlifebariatricsupplements.com/index.php

Susan J.
on 6/22/10 8:04 pm - Madison, TN
This may look good on paper but as most of us know, you can't take calcium and iron together. They counteract the absorption of each other.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

southernlady5464
on 6/22/10 9:25 pm
That's true IF you are taking excessive amounts.

ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp
 Excessively high levels of calcium in the blood known as hypercalcemia impair kidney function, and lead to reduced absorption of other essential minerals, such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus [1,116-119]

Liz
Susan J.
on 6/23/10 5:09 am - Madison, TN

Those government fact sheets are written with a normal digestive system in mind. With our rerouted innards we have different needs.

Every program I have heard from - except Dr. Boyce evidently - instructs patients to take their calcium and iron at least 2 hours apart.

As for the kidney stones. As a card carrying member of the kidney stone club - prior to WLS - my urologist told me that it is calcium carbonate that contributes to stone formation. Dietary calcium, the kind naturally found in foods, is digested differently that calcium in supplement form. Dietary calcium rarely causes stones. It is also near impossible to ingest the amounts of calcium needed to cause negative side effects without high levels of supplementation. Most people are lacking in calcium, thus the high numbers of osteoporosis cases we are hearing about.

I have had a couple of mild stone episodes since surgery and they were directly linked to low fluid intake. I tend to slack up on my water in the winter and that has gotten me into trouble a few times. Nothing that couldn't pass on it's own but it still wasn't any fun.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

southernlady5464
on 6/23/10 6:56 am
southernlady5464
on 6/23/10 6:59 am
Susan J.
on 6/23/10 11:25 am - Madison, TN

Oh, excuse me. I thought I was on a support board for WLS patients.

Even people with a lapband and the sleeve have some absorption issues due to the reduced stomach volume.

We don't typically share information that does not apply to surgery patients.

We also don't hide behind private profiles if we're going to get snarky with someone.

Carry on!

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

Most Active
Recent Topics