Centennial Questions

jnt_179
on 5/25/10 1:45 am
I have decided to go to Centennial since Dr. Weaver's office in Memphis is backed up until late this summer  and into fall. I have heard great things about the surgeon's at Centennial. Who would you recommend? I am planning on having the RNY. I have submitted all my paperwork to the center except for my last month of the 6 month insurance required diet. I will complete that Friday morning and fax it in as soon as my doctor gets it back to me which she will probably do before I leave that morning. This is everything that I have completed. 5 year records, psych eval, upper GI, and 6 month records. How far out are the surgeons scheduling right now? Any advice?
k9ophile
on 5/25/10 4:08 am
Call Centennial and ask them about scheduling.  Everyone I've ever talked to there has been very friendly and helpful.  As for which surgeon?  They all have tons of experince with the RNY.  I've met all 3 of them and would have had any one of them do my surgery if I had gone for the RNY.  Go to one of the information sessions, meet one of the docs, and ask your questions.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

MerryMary
on 5/25/10 5:20 am - Brentwood, TN
All three bariatric surgeons that Centennial has are very experienced with the RNY.  Hugh Houston is the only one who performs the Duodenal Switch (DS).  Do your research and try to get the right surgery for you.  I was a revision from lap band to DS.  Although we all get anxious to get the show on the road, it is best to "think twice and cut once."   Go to the DS boarc and to DSFACTS.com for information on this surgery option.
Mary

jnt_179
on 5/25/10 5:31 am
Thanks guys! I don't think my insurance covers the DS so that has not ever been option for me.
Susan J.
on 5/25/10 11:23 am - Madison, TN

You might want to check out Baptist Hospital too. Three of the four surgeons there do RNY and all 4 are great surgeons.

I checked out 3 hospitals and 4 surgeons before I found my fit at Baptist. You're going to have a life long relationship with your surgeon so you want to make sure you find the one who is right for you.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Truly Trina
on 5/26/10 1:59 pm - Nashville, TN

If possible attend as many seminars as you can. The seminars are led by the surgeons so this will give you an opportunity to meet and listen to that surgeon to see if there may be a possible fit for your needs and requirements. Not all surgeons perform all surgeries and seminars are free of charge

Next to deciding to have WLS, the most important decision you will make will be choosing your surgeon.

If you have a good bariatric surgeon in your area, you may want to reconsider going to another surgeon far away. The aftercare services that you will miss out on due to that decision may not be a wise decision. From what I have heard through the years from posting here at Obesity Help is that Dr. Weaver is an excellent surgeon, and her having a long waiting list is also a good indicator of her excellent reputation. July or early fall really isn't that far away.

As far as seeing your surgeon on a long term basis, that would not be a factor. When you attend your "center of excellence" after care or follow up appointments you will generally see a qualified staff member that has been put in charge of your after care. Your surgeon is the most important component of your WLS team and your valuable supporting team members will be qualified professionals including the Physician Assistant, Nurse, Bariatric Coordinator, Nutritionist and the list goes on. Everyone I listed here has played key roles in my weight loss surgery journey over the past 4 years, and they know I would not trade them for anything.

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

Most Active
Recent Topics