Can't Stop the Weight Loss

Kylawyer
on 4/28/10 6:25 am
Had bypass 9 months ago today.  I have lost 140 pounds.  I can't stop the weight loss.  I am down to 160 pounds.  I look like skin and bones.

Talked to the dietician and she tells me to drink protein shakes.  Sure, I can suffer some down, but I want to maintain a weight without the need for supplemental shakes.  I feel like I eat all the time, I just can't eat very much at each setting.

Anyone else have similiar issues?

Casey
melsreturn
on 4/28/10 10:32 pm - Madison, TN
Hmmm I would think they would tell you to add a protein bar that is a little higher in calories...  the protein shakes are not all that high in calories and might contribute to even more loss...  did she talk about how to add more calories such as drink a glass of milk, add condiments to your food such as salad dressing, butter, little ways like that...  Now I'm not saying go overboard...  you have to add back very slowly but some people are unable to quit losing and need to step up their calories.

Pam Davis will hopefully weigh in on the subject.....

pam.nutrition
on 4/29/10 12:14 am
melsreturn
on 4/29/10 12:24 am - Madison, TN
Thanks, Pam.  I was confident that you or Pam D would comment, and it is good to hear these suggestions again.  I am going to save them in my information for future references....  I had forgotten about the nuts & olive oil... 

pam.nutrition
on 4/29/10 12:59 am

There are many protein bars on the market, too many to review, so just pay close attention to the nutrition facts. In order to stop the weight loss, one must continue to increase their calorie and carbohydrate intake. That is why I recommend some protein shakes between meals because they do not fill you up as much as the food. You can drink "lite" shakes instead of carb control and mix protein powder with 1-2% milk. But I would suggest trying some other brands, such as EAS, on protein bars, even if you can only eat 1/2 bar at a time. Are you eating at least 6 times/day?

Nuts are another good source of healthy fat/calories. Try 1/4 cup almonds or mixed nuts with some greek yogurt and fruit for a snack; or mix together in the blender for a smoothie. Or 2% lowfat cottage cheese and fruit. Add a few slices of avocado or some olives to salads or sandwiches. Cook with olive oil. These are all healthy sources of fat. Fat has more than twice as many calories as protein.

Besides olive oil, you can change to a healthy salad dressing that is not as low calorie but based with olive or canola oil, try smart balance or similar margarine without trans fats, and use 2% cheese instead of mozzarella or fat free. Cheese is a good way to add calories to your meats without adding more volume. And you can choose lean beef, pork, and dark meat poultry more often, a couple of times a week.

Limit your protein to 3 ounces at your meals so you can get in at least 15-20 gm carbs at each meal as well. As your capacity increases, you can increase to 4 ounces of protein, but for the time being, I would continue increasing your carbs as tolerated and including some protein for snacks. Whole grain bread products, legumes/dried beans, fresh fruit, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, lima beans, oatmeal, high fiber cereal, brown rice or whole wheat pasta as tolerated (these 2 tend to make most patients feel too full, so just start with a bite). Gradually increase your fiber and as you do this, you want to make sure to drink a little more fluids to avoid constipation.

Thanks & best wishes,

Pam

Most Active
Recent Topics