Protein powder... 60g at once to much?

Telisha
on 4/20/10 11:49 pm
Hey all thanks in advance for all advice,

A while ago I posted I was looking for a protein powder I could mix in coffee as a creamer substitute and I found 2 that I love!! INSPIRE Protein Drink CARAMEL LATTE and INSPIRE Protein Drink CINNAMON CAPPUCCINO from http://www.bariatriceating.com. They mix great with coffee I just use 4oz of coffee instead of water it gives me 30g of protein and I have been drinking one in the morning and one in the late afternoon, it has helped me increase my protein intake I just cant get enough from food alone, but here is my question. 4oz of coffee is nothing! I want my normal 16oz coffee in the morning. I have tried just using the one scoop and adding more coffee and I don't like the taste, so I am willing to concede to an 8oz cup of coffee, but would 60g of protein all at once be to much or a waste of good protein powder if I wouldn't get the benefit of all of it? I don't "eat" breakfast, for lunch I usually have chicken, egg or tuna salad and have a sensible meat and veggie dinner, so I need the boost in protein, but didn't know if you can over do it. Even doubling it I would be within my calorie range for the day and I work out as often as I can. Any input?

Thanks,

Sher

Susan J.
on 4/21/10 3:49 am - Madison, TN
I have been told that there is a limit to the amount of protein our body can absorb at one sitting. Most experts agree that 30 - 35 grams is the amount that can be absorbed in an hour.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

hollykim
on 4/21/10 6:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I don't believe there is any scientific published info that proves there is a limit or what that limit is,that can be absorbed at once.

what if you mixed the powder in 8 ounces of water and added 8 ounces of coffee? You would get more fluid and the protein too.
This is what i do.
Good luck,
holly

Telisha
on 4/21/10 7:29 am
I have tried to mix one scoop with more liquid and I don't care for the taste. So I want to keep to their directions as for how much liquid to add per scoop I just make it coffee instead of water. I just don't want to use creamer anymore, but would hate to waste the protein powder if I really get no benefit from drinking that much.

Thanks,

Sher

Susan J.
on 4/22/10 1:39 am - Madison, TN

Since the malabsorption with RNY is different than that for VSG, I will continue to follow the guidelines of my nutritionist and surgeon concerning protein and vitamin intake.

In the 4+ years since my surgery, my labs have been great by following their guidance and I've had no other issues related to my surgery.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

hollykim
on 4/22/10 1:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM Pacific Time, Susan J. wrote:

Since the malabsorption with RNY is different than that for VSG, I will continue to follow the guidelines of my nutritionist and surgeon concerning protein and vitamin intake.

In the 4+ years since my surgery, my labs have been great by following their guidance and I've had no other issues related to my surgery.

And you certainly should. My post was directed to the OP.
Carry on....

Michael S.
on 4/22/10 3:26 pm, edited 4/22/10 9:52 pm
I beg to differ that there has been a study...

There has been a study and it does state that the body will only absorb (in general) 25-30g per sitting, but still determined by the individual as we are all different.

here is an article to the study: jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

ALL patients should be following the guidlines of their own surgen/Nut on all food intake and choices.

Most centers state that 25-30g is all that is obsorbed.  You are basicly "wasting" the rest of protein.  There is no benefit or ill effect if you eat more than this amount.

Michael.

jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

Susan J.
on 4/22/10 9:51 pm - Madison, TN

Thank you Michael. I knew I'd read the study before, just didn't remember where to go to find it and haven't had time to search again.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 

hollykim
on 4/23/10 4:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Thanks for the link and I stand corrected...I think. this study is between the digestability of cooked and uncooked (egg) protein. How does that apply in the question of the absorbability of protein in general?

Michael S.
on 4/23/10 8:24 am
They used egg protein as the protein of choice in this study.

They measure the amount on the breath and in the intestine and that can tell them how much is obsorbed and how much just "passes through".

Again, if you eat more than the 25-30g it does not matter.  Just that the body will not "take advantage" of it.  So it can be seen as a waste especially in the case of expensive protein suppliments.

Michael.
Most Active
Recent Topics