3 dayss post-surgery and feeling great!

Sniffles...
on 4/2/10 5:01 am - Hendersonville, TN
Hey, guys! I'm on the loser bench! Wooohooo!

All is well. Starting yesterday and continuing into today I have had no problem getting all of my protein and fluids in. Yesterday I walked a mile on our treadmill and I will do the same today. I have discovered the secret to getting all of your protein/fluids in during the initial few days after surgery. I don't recall if anyone else posted this, but this is what I discovered: if I attempt to sip, sip, sip my fluids while sitting, whether straight up or reclining, the sips "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle" down followed by little belches of air - all very uncomfortable. However, if I sip, sip, sip while standing and then do 2-3 laps around my couch and then sip, sip, sip while standing and then do 2-3 laps around my couch, repeat, repeat, repeat, - I have no problem getting the liquids/protein in and it does not feel nearly as uncomfortable - no "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, belch". It's like multi-tasking and easing discomfort at the same time! So that's a big tip to any pre-surgery patients out there! I assume this would be the same regardless of the type of surgery... My theory is that while in any sitting position, my internal organs are "bunched up", so to speak - making it more complicated for the fluid to process through. However, standing up elongates the internal organs, new stomach specifically, allowing easier passage of the fluid - plus the walking helps to process it through. I hope that tip really helps anyone behind me waiting for surgery. Write that down!

Thanks to all of you for all of the sweet follow-up, supportive posts following my surgery! And big hugs and thanks to Steve for being my Angel. He did a great job before, during, and after!

I'll update my ticker soon, but here's the down-low: I'm 5'9" and I weighed 307 on Saturday pre-surgery and lost 4 lbs while on liquid diet through Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning (day of surgery) I weighed 303. Today I weigh 298.4. So 8.6 lbs total. I'm really exctatic about that, but I'm concentrating my efforts more on the liquids, protein, supplements, and walking and not so much on the weight loss at this point. I just want to do a really good job following doctor's orders this wee****il our next appointment on April 6. It's still all very exciting, though!

I need to get on my treadmill now, so I'll take a break from posting for a little while... but I'll probably float around here for a few hours today... and I'll probably post more surgery specific details later too.

Thanks again, you guys!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
Susan J.
on 4/2/10 7:11 am - Madison, TN

Glad to hear you are doing so well. You are no longer a surgery virgin. LOL

It's going to be fun watching you shrink my dear!

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Most Active
Recent Topics