My surgery experience... for any pre-ops!

Sniffles...
on 4/2/10 8:22 am - Hendersonville, TN
I'm 3 days post-op and figure I better post this now while it's all still fresh. First and foremost, I feel fantastic and I'm doing great getting all the liquids/protein/supplements down...

O.k. - 'morning of surgery showed up on time and was place in my own pre-op room within 20 minutes of checking in. In the pre-op surgery room I gave a urine sample (last minute pregnancy test?), blood pressure and heart rate checked. I talked to all three surgeons - main and two residents, two anesthesiologists, and two surgical nurses. Questions revolved around which surgery are you having, how do you feel, family history, etc. I remember suddenly having an unexpected, wave of emotion while talking to one of the surgeons and tears started a little. Choked it up, deep breaths... IVs were inserted - not as bad as I thought. Surgery-virgin here by the way!

Next, I'm wheeled into the surgery room and asked to shift myself from the one bed to the surgery table. Done. I remember looking up and seeing the big lights hanging from the ceiling, someone may have said something, and "blam!" out like a light.

Next, I woke up in the recovery room writhing in extreme discomfort. Note: I DID NOT say pain! So don't get scared, you pre-oppies! My back and my abdomen hurt and ached and I just could not get comfortable on that bed/table I was on. And even in that moment, I had clarity enough to know I would be in there a couple of hours before getting my own room and bed. I remember thinking to myself "Who in their right mind would CHOOSE to do this to themselves?" LOL!!! So I writhed and writhed and moaned and moaned. I remember the recovery room attendant saying something like "Ma'am, you have to settle down. You're getting uncovered and you will expose yourself... blah, blah." And I'm thinking "WHO GIVES A RAT'S @SS!" In that moment, they could have been filming for a spot on YouTube and I would not have cared! Geez! Then my hubby and my pastor came in and saw me in all my writhing glory followed by "you did good, baby" and a prayer for quick healing. I don't remember being as uncomfortable after the prayer.

Next, "we got a room for you" and I'm being wheeled down a hallway and into my own room. Once more, I shift myself from the post-op bed/table to my own bed. 'still not great comfort-wise but definitely an improvement. Again, back and abdomen so sore. Ahhhhh, but here now is the morphine pump and I can hit it every 8 minutes. Joy! Very sleepy, very out of it all afternoon, evening. They gave me a cup of water with a small sponge on a stick to swab my mouth. 'talk about bad case of cotton-mouth! Holy cow!!! ...and it persisted WELL into the next afternoon. I swished and spit, I swabbed, I brushed my teeth, you name it and it still came back with a vengeance! Lord, have mercy!!! I walked a lap around the nurses desk and post-op surgery area with help of hubby. No cathedar, no drain tube, no intubation tube pre- or post-op. I had no problem going to the bathroom (peeing) that evening. Nurses took my vitals about 3 times that night. I also got the "what's your pain level on a scale of 1-10?" a lot.

I felt nauseous the evening after surgery coupled with the discomfort and, for whatever reason, I became paranoid about hitting the morphine pump too much. I wasn't sure whether coming off anesthesia was causing the nausea or whether the morphine was causing the nausea. So, my first night of sleep was quite restless. They gave me some nausea med. I woke up several times in the night to shift positions calling the nurses each time to help me. They were amazing and sweet and quick responding! By 4:30a.m. day after surgery I had had enough and could not attempt sleep further. So I called the nurse and asked to walk or sit in a chair. The chair was so much more easy to get comfort in. It was much more difficult to shift positions in the bed. Shifting positions in the chair for comfort was much easier and did not hurt as much. Walked about 3 more laps around the nurses desk and post-op area. My main surgeon and resident surgeon each came to visit with me and said I was doing great. Surgeon's nurse came to visit and gave me a run-down of post-op instructions and meds. Nutritionist came to visit with more post-op nutrition instruction. Got breakfast of SF jello, SF cranberry juice, and broth. Lunch was the same. I was able to get about 11 ounces total down prior to release. I was released from the hospital at about 2:30 in the afternoon to go home.

I was still pretty loopy/sleepy upon arriving home. I made a protein shake and managed to get about 10 more ounces down - refridgerated the rest. My abdomen was still really sore. I went to sleep. We have a Sleep Number bed and it was more comfortable than our recliner and a lot more comfortable than the hospital bed. I still woke up about 4 times that night and was up by 6:30am.

My surgery was Tuesday at 11:30am. By Thursday and Friday (today) I have felt big improvements. I'm not nearly as sore as I was immediately post-op. All of my incision site soreness has gone away with the exception of the big incision where they pulled the stomach. And it just aches a little bit - enough to remind me it's there. I would NOT have been ready to go back to work today, but I could probably do fine this Monday (but I'm taking two weeks off instead to get used to all of this). I can move around the house and up and down stairs and walk the treadmill with ease. If you saw my previous post, I pointed out an important tip for immediately post-surgery. I have found it TREMENDOUSLY EASIER to sip, sip, sip while standing up, do 2-3 laps around my couch, sip, sip, sip, while standing up, do 2-3 laps around my couch, repeat, repeat, repeat. This has been the key to getting all of my protein and liquids in each day and then some. My theory is that when I sip while sitting down (straight up or reclining) my organs are "bunched up" causing the passage of the liquid to be more difficult. While standing, my organs are elongated, specifically my new tummy, allowing easier passage of the liquid. No "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, belch, belch" with uncomfortable tightness. Try this. This is probably the biggest and best piece of advice I can pass on to you!

So that's my story! I hope you enjoyed it!!! I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!!!!!!!!! 

Oh yeah... I walked 1.25 miles yesterday and 1.5 miles today... slowly!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
Jennifer Adams
on 4/2/10 12:58 pm - Springfield, TN
oh wow sounds like you are having a really good and fast recovery so far, I hope that things continue to go so well for you! Thanks for updating us!
Jennifer Adams

SW 299.7/GW 175           
CharleeG
on 4/2/10 2:26 pm - Jonesboro, AR
You are amazing! Thanks so much for the info. I'm really glad to know how well you're doing. Keep it up!

cindyja
on 4/3/10 12:57 am - Paris, TN

Thank you so much for the detailed report and advice. I am so glad you are doing so well. You are amazing!!

Sniffles...
on 4/3/10 2:26 am - Hendersonville, TN
Thanks, guys! I'm still doing really well and thinking of actually venturing out today to go get groceries. The post-op liquid diet isn't so bad so far. I haven't gotten sick of it yet at least!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
t2nashville
on 4/6/10 12:54 am
Paula - thanks for taking the time to write this out. It will really help others who are facing surgery. Very proud of you and glad that things went smoothly for you. Rock that sleeve, girl!

Angela B.
on 4/6/10 5:17 am
glad your doing well! I am 28 days out and getting a little nervous but excited too. My date is 5/4.

hw-481  sw-430  cw- 399.2 gw- 150
Amy A.
on 4/13/10 3:45 am - Riceville, TN
Thank you for sharing your story. I am new here and any information is good information, IMO!
Most Active
Recent Topics