pre op testing?

Jennifer Adams
on 3/26/10 1:11 am - Springfield, TN
I was just curious what all is involved in the pre op before surgery?
Jennifer Adams

SW 299.7/GW 175           
Sniffles...
on 3/26/10 2:13 am - Hendersonville, TN
My surgery is on March 30 and I had pre-op appointments/testing on March 22 at Vanderbilt. I met with the anesthesiologist and played 20 questions so they would know all they need to know before putting me under (allergies, drinking, smoking, family history, etc.). I had an EKG. They listened to my heart and took my blood pressure. Got weighed and measured again. Gave more blood for testing. I met with the surgeon, Dr. Williams, and his nurse and went over what to expect on the day of surgery, discuss the surgery process again (VSG in my case), and any last-minute questions. Also discussed what to expect in the immediate days after surgery, received a folder with inserts explaining in detail what to expect day of and after surgery, phone numbers to call the nurse when/if needed, nutrition instructions, etc.. Received next appointment date for post-op check-up. Met with the nutritionist to again discuss expectations, nutrition/diet, and any last-minute questions. Got directions to the hospital and what floor to report to. That's it. I took the whole day off so I could relax and "digest" everything and read the material again. But it really just took the morning hours. I could have taken a 1/2 day off if I wanted.

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
Sniffles...
on 3/26/10 2:15 am - Hendersonville, TN
Oh, yeah... I forgot... I also got instructions to go on a liquid diet 24 hours in advance of the surgery and not drink or eat anything after midnight before surgery... not even a sip!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
CharleeG
on 3/26/10 5:39 am - Jonesboro, AR
What I got at Dr. Houston's office was a power point presentation very nicely presented by Pam, the program director, and then a bit more from one of the NUTs (little bitty thing, can't remember her name). Over at the hospital, I signed consents and gave lots of info to one of the nice admissions ladies, then gave a gallon of blood and had an EKG. Basically a non event all around.

Jennifer Adams
on 3/26/10 5:42 am - Springfield, TN
thank you for the info so far, did anyone have to have a light run or Upper GI? If you have acid reflux and are on medication for it, does that mean you have a great chance of this? I am having my surgery at Centennial, so their setup is a little different than the others.
Jennifer Adams

SW 299.7/GW 175           
Most Active
Recent Topics