Vanderbilt - leak test

Sniffles...
on 2/23/10 7:31 am - Hendersonville, TN
Missy, Kenny, and anyone else that had their surgery at Vanderbilt...

Was the leak test done while you were under anesthesia or did you have to do the barium swallow after you woke up from surgery... if so, how bad was it?

I meet with Dr. Williams on 03/22, but would like to field the question to you guys now...

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
ErikaAnn
on 2/23/10 2:03 pm - MT. JULIET, TN
I had my surgery at Vanderbilt and they did the leak test a day  later.  It was nothing--I drank a little barium and they took an xray --that's it!  No biggie at all!

2Corinthians 5:7

Kenneth C.
on 2/23/10 9:45 pm - Hendersonville, TN
From what I understood, they check for leaks, as well as possible, during surgery using sterile saline and then, after surgery if you show symptoms of a leak they do the barium swallow. Missy had no problems, but I showed symptoms of a leak so the day after surgery I had to do the barium swallow and everything was fine. The nice thing is you get to skip the water trial after you do the barium swallow and that is if everything was fine with it. The only bad thing was I had to explain to the radiologist when he said "Now take a big sip of the barium". I told him, "There will be no big sips, you know I just had a gastric bypass, right? Do you want to see me puke on your floor?". He said, 'NO!!! I mean tiny sips, sorry". It was funny.
Kenny  - Facebook or view my blog — krcoffman.blogspot.com
HW 340/SW 297/CW 170/GW 190 — Start of Program Weight 315

Most Active
Recent Topics