BCBS FED VIP approved my Sleeve!!!

Sniffles...
on 2/19/10 12:38 am - Hendersonville, TN

Repeated from Main Board and Sleeve Forum posting today -

I got a call yesterday that my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) (aka, the "sleeve") was approved by BCBS FED VIP, aka BCBS FEP BLUE, aka BCBS TN. I live in TN and I work for the federal government, specifically the Dept of the Treasury and IRS. I have BCBS PPO enrollment code #105. I know this information is important to some of you with the same coverage going through the pre-op process and wanting to know whether BCBS approves the sleeve.

Now it is my understanding from prior research on this site and other sites that not all federal employees covered by BCBS FED/FEP BLUE get approved for the sleeve and I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL, but it appears to have something to do with the state you live in(?) and/or the CPT code they use when the approval request is submitted. But I just want to let you guys know that it did get approved for me living here in TN. I understand also that if you do not get approved, many people have been successful on appeal. So don't give up!

Time-wise, my paperwork was submitted to the insurance company on 02/12/10 and I got the approval (verbally) on 02/18/10. I will find out my surgery date on Monday or Tuesday next week.

'see you guys on the losers bench!!!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
Kenneth C.
on 2/19/10 3:11 am - Hendersonville, TN
Congrats!!!! You're in great hands, Dr. Williams is the best. I love his work so much, I went back for a hernia surgery a few months after my RNY.

Don't forget there is a great Post-Op suppurt group held every 4th Thursday of the month at One Hundred Oaks. My wife and I lead it and there is usually a nut there, but they just sit and listen and chime in if there are any nut related questions, it's a totally open forum to get out anything you want with no worries about being judged.

Good luck, can't wait to see you on the loser's bench.
Kenny  - Facebook or view my blog — krcoffman.blogspot.com
HW 340/SW 297/CW 170/GW 190 — Start of Program Weight 315

Sniffles...
on 2/19/10 3:18 am - Hendersonville, TN
I am so glad you responded! I saw that you had your surgery with Dr. Williams, too. I really like him and have had great experiences with everyone at Vanderbilt thus far. I would love to get with you guys and ask some questions I have. Perhaps I can go to one of your meetings prior to surgery? I have had most of my questions answered when I met Dr. Williams a couple of months ago and I know we will meet again pre-op and I will have another opportunity to ask additional questions at that point. But I would love to hit you up with a few Vandy-surgery-specific questions, too.

Kenneth C.
on 2/19/10 3:27 am, edited 2/19/10 5:55 am - Hendersonville, TN
 Sure, you're more than welcome to attend before surgery. We just label it as post-op because somethings we talk about can be scary, and we don't want to scare pre-op patients, as you have enough anxiety before surgery. But you're more than welcome to, we've had a few pre-op patients before. If you can't make it, we live in Hendersonville too, we could meet and go out to dinner or something. We remember, there is so much before surgery, it's always good to have someone to answer questions and reassure you about things.

Anyways our support meeting is this coming Thursday, Feb. 25th at 5:30 pm - 7 pm at One Hundred Oaks, the conference room in the SWL Center. And we usually go out to dinner afterwards, so there is lots of time to talk with everyone. Hope to see ya, but if not, like I said feel free to message me here and we can find sometime to get together to talk.

Kenny  - Facebook or view my blog — krcoffman.blogspot.com
HW 340/SW 297/CW 170/GW 190 — Start of Program Weight 315

Sniffles...
on 2/19/10 4:42 am - Hendersonville, TN
Thanks for the dinner suggestion in Hendersonville! I would love that and maybe my hubby can join. If we do that instead, I can avoid hearing anything that might give me anxiety pre-op. Although, honestly, I have researched pretty thoroughly and I feel really, really good about this decision. I will send a private message to your account with my phone number and we can make arrangements to get together. Thanks again!

Susan J.
on 2/19/10 5:57 am - Madison, TN

Congratulations!!!!

I attended the 100 Oaks group for the first time last month. Let me tell you... Kenny and Missy run a great group. I don't think you would be scared by post-op things we talk about, I think it would be the perfect opportunity for you to air any anxieties you may already have and get some good information to relieve any fears related to surgery.

I plan on trying to make it again this month - I'll have to see how things go since that is the eve of Abby's first birthday.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Sniffles...
on 2/19/10 7:25 am - Hendersonville, TN
Cool! Perhaps I'll go then. Thanks for letting me know!

I'm super excited about being approved and still somewhat in denial... as in, it hasn't really "hit home" yet that this is happening for real!

Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!! The ride is speeding up!

Missy C.
on 2/19/10 9:57 am - Hendersonville, TN
awww     thanks.   We look forward to seeing you but we understand  *hugs*
You on facebook?  So am I.  Search for Missy French Coffman
HW/ 338  Starting Weight w/clinic /324  Surgery/307  Current/175 Goal/168

Bob L.
on 2/19/10 11:45 am - Clarksville, TN
Missy & Kenneth Great seeing you guys the otherday along with my old buddy BamaBob!
C'ya

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 8:18 am - TN
Congratulations!! That is wonderful news!!
Most Active
Recent Topics