teeth

jan4756
on 2/13/10 10:01 am - Crossville, TN
Has anyone out here had problems with their teeth ? I have 6 cavities that need filling and just had one pulled after the fillings the dentist wants partials of course $4000.00 worth of work so I am looking elsewhere but may just get them all pulled. Got any suggestions pleas let me hear them.
Jan
leemorg9
on 2/14/10 11:19 am - Cleveland, TN
I don't know how old you are but I had problems with my teeth when I was in my late 20's and kept having root canals & caps put on my teeth we spent well over $900.00 on these. I worked in the public and it was embarrassing to have a cap come off my front teeth while at work.

My Dentist told me I just didn't have very strong teeth, it wasn't my fault because I always took great care of my teeth. I was always anemic and it affected my teeth from all the liquid iron drops they gave to me as I was growing up. To make a long story short I went and had all  my top teeth pulled and my dentures put in the same day. I kept my dentures in for 48hrs without taking them out after they were inserted. This gave my gums time to fit to the form of the shape of my handmade gums on my dentures. I want you to know I have never been able to put anything into my mouth that I could not chew or swallow. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to wear them. I have had no problems and am now 55  and have the same dentures! I have never had to wear any kind of stuff to hold them in they look and feel just like my real teeth & do not gag me & not one time have they! I have a great suction on my dentures and have to pull them out.I can eat whatever I want to!

The key to remember is no matter what ppl tell you do not take out your teeth out of your mouth after inserted if you have them put them in on the same day you have your teeth pulled.
Most ppl that just don't want to believe what I tell them about this went ahead and took their teeth out because it hurts. YES it hurts but it is worth the pain to do what I suggest.I know this sounds hard but you can rinse your mouth with the dentures still in your mouth! The ppl who did not take my advice have had problems one after another including my husband, he keeps his teeth in a cup in the bathroom and only wears his top teeth when he don't want ppl to see him without teeth!!!

People never even notice that I have dentures and are not my real teeth unless I tell them!

Good luck and if you have anymore questions and I can help let me know.
Leemorg9

Ps: Add me to your friend list if you want .Email gets to me quicker that way.

Kenneth C.
on 2/15/10 12:03 am - Hendersonville, TN
If you're not getting in your Calcium Citrate, teeth and bone problems can result over time, as your body will pull calcium from your body (your bones and teeth). I seen my mother who had RNY 8 years ago go through this, and found out she was not taking any Calcium Citrate, and it must be Calcium Citrate, not anything else. Your doctor should be able to tell if your deficient in Calcium and if your body is depleting it's own calcium stores during your yearly labs by looking at you Vitamin D #'s and intact-PTH #'s. Else, I'd have to believe it's normal wear and tear on your teeth.
Kenny  - Facebook or view my blog — krcoffman.blogspot.com
HW 340/SW 297/CW 170/GW 190 — Start of Program Weight 315

melsreturn
on 2/15/10 9:33 pm - Madison, TN
I'm kind of confused on the topic.  Do you mean has anyone had problems with their teeth as a result of having wls?  Or, problems in general?

The reason I ask is because we did have this conversation a few years ago.  My former roommate, Mike, is a wls patient. He had braces in his 20s, and had beautiful straight teeth.  He brushes regularly, flosses, takes wonderful care of his teeth.  He visited the dentist for something, and then 6 months later returned.  The dentist asked rather scoldingly:  "Are you eating a lot sugar?"  Mike said no, he didn't hardly ever have anything with sugar in it because he is a wls patient and it would make him sick.  He said that his teeth's condition had declined quite substantially since the last appt (6 mos previous). 

He has  a history of taking great care with his teeth, and also routine visits and cleanings.  There are a few things we wondered and discussed at that time whi*****luded:
a.  Not being able to drink with meals, therefore you aren't really getting all the food out or off your teeth as you coudl pre-op
b.  Not being able to chew gum (which helps to also remove food and particles after eating)
c.  Loss of calcium

It is an interesting theory...  but just throwing it out there for discussion.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/10 8:44 pm
I have never thought about the not drinking issue. Starting today I am back to regular flossing!! Thanks for sharing!
jan4756
on 2/21/10 5:58 am - Crossville, TN
 Well thanks but in the moring I am headed to Cookville to get them pulled and get some new ones  kind of nervious about that tho. Jan
Marie R.
on 3/1/10 1:03 am - Nashville, TN
i never had a cavity in my life and last year in January i had 12 small cavities and ended up with a root canal and a crown. when i went to vandy in february because i was feeling weak, they found my calcium and vitamin d were at such low levels they were very worried. they told me that my cavities were a direct result of this.
Marie Rucker
preop 302/current 184/goal 170

jan4756
on 3/1/10 10:48 am - Crossville, TN
Thanks Marie
I have had a lot of Cavitys over the years so I did get them pull and got a top plate and bottom particle will be so glad when my mouth gets well. I have my blood work done reglarly and it is ok take my vitamins and calcium also just bad teeth. 
Most Active
Recent Topics