Consult with Dr. Houston & psych eval - what to expect?

CharleeG
on 1/23/10 5:19 am - Jonesboro, AR
Hey y'all, my consult is next Friday. I have a few questions for Dr. Houston, mainly things I got from dsfacts.com. Any suggestions as to what I absolutely should ask? What should I expect from him? What does does he usually ask? I like to have a cheat sheet. Nothing worse than stammering like a fool and not being able to think of anything until 30 minutes AFTER the end of the consult!

My psych eval is that morning with Dr Ihrig at Athena Counseling Svcs. He said we would meet for 30 minutes to an hour, then I would take the MMPI. I'm vrey familiar with the MMPI, so no sweat there, but what about Dr. Ihrig? I'd love to hear form those who have been to him. I'm not concerned about being found mentally ill - anymore so than the rest of the folks here. HAHA! I just don't like walking in cold to The Unknown.

I also meet with the NUT that day - cannot remember her name! Stephanie? That will likely be the smile & nod part of the day. I imagine by that time, that's about all I'll be capable of. Do they have a real DS nutrition plan or is it more a slightly modified RnY plan? What do I need to ask the NUT?

I assume I won't be given a date until my psych eval is processed and insurance says grace over me. Any and all info welcome, especially about anything I can do to speed up this process. Those 3 appointments fulfill my 2ndary insurance requirements. My primary hasn't any specific requirements for the DS other than BMI, which I more than meet. :-/  I'm excited and anxious and have the WORST case of Switch Envy you ever did see!

Susan J.
on 1/23/10 5:45 am - Madison, TN

Can't help you with Dr. H, or DS specific questions, or Dr. Ihrig on a professional basis, but...

I have been in several meetings with Dr. Ihrig as a former committee member of the Walk From Obesity and I can tell you that he is a very nice man and he has a wonderful sense of humor.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

CharleeG
on 1/24/10 1:29 pm - Jonesboro, AR
Thanks! He answered the phone when I called to make my appt and seemed pleasant.

Ronda S.
on 1/23/10 6:05 am - Cookeville, TN

I'm a very happy DSer, and I know you will be too. Dr. Houston is very nice and easy to talk with. I believe their diet for DS needs a little tweaking. It's more for Rny, but you will learn from the Ds board and from other s as to what your new tummy will tolerate. I have had a very easy recovery,it takes awhile to get back to 100%, but it comes eventually.

Your insurance will probably need to approve you before you get a surgery date.  Their are quite a few of us Houston DSer's now. If you have any questions you can pm me .  Your in for an amazing ride!!!!!! Hang on,  I LOVE MY DS.

Ronda S. 

HW262//CW 122
  140lbs lost !
5"6 Tall

CharleeG
on 1/24/10 1:31 pm - Jonesboro, AR
Thanks Ronda! I'm sure I will be pestering the fool out of you before long. :-)

Amy_Baggett
on 1/23/10 6:22 am - Monterey, TN
I am not a DS'er, but I am also going for a consult with Dr. Houston this week.  While I won't get into a great deal about my choice, I am NOT happy with Vandy's current level of services, so I've put myself up for adoption basically.

I am going to see Dr. Houston on Thursday the 27th and I'm very excited about hopefully getting a new adoptive family!!

HUGS
Pam Davis
on 1/24/10 12:06 am - Franklin, TN
Miss Amy, you better be sticking your head in my door while you're there. My office is right behind Dr. Houston's waiting room.
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

k9ophile
on 1/24/10 6:54 am
Now you'll get a chance to find out what all of us are talking about when we say we love Dr. H!  I'm planning on being at Crawdadddy's and you can let us all know how it went.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

CharleeG
on 1/24/10 1:33 pm - Jonesboro, AR
I've noticed a couple of comments about folks being less than thrilled with Vandy. Hope your consultation goes well and you get exactly what you want and need! Be sure and let us know how it goes.Thanks for the hugs!

Denise M.
on 1/25/10 7:56 am
Wait!  Wednesday or Thursday?!?  The 27th is Wednesday!

So, do you need a cheerleader to rah rah for ya at the appointment?  I'm totally available and seriously contemplating adoption myself!    

It's not just you, Amy.  I have been let down by the clinic. The last straw was when that older nurse snarked at me in the fluoro suite, "You were told at the beginning that this was a PROCESS!" at my last visit.  

That is never something appropriate to say to a patient.  Never.  The way she alone treated me is enough to make me want to leave this program and that happened after a host of other issues I will not go into here.

Customer service is not their strong suit, to say the least.  I'm tired of fighting with them.  I'd like to be at a practice where getting the clinic staff to listen to your concerns is not like pulling teeth.  I know other people who have had very positive experiences at this clinic, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. 

I'm gonna suck up my pride and go to the support group this week though. I love the Missy & Kenny Experience and a new gal said she's gonna attend too (and she's a laff riot, so it should be fun!).

Needless to say, I'm excited to hear how things go at Centennial and what their attitude toward their patients is like!  Super good, I hope!  You've been so strong and been through so much the past year, Amy.  You deserve THE BEST!!!!

HUGS!!!!
Denise

Ronda--sorry for the hijack of your post!  I'm glad you're feeling better, though.  And my dear, you LOOK AMAZING!!!!!!!  (slapping myself in the head for not going to Houston for the DS in the first place right about now!)

Most Active
Recent Topics