Let's Reminisce - WHY WLS?

melsreturn
on 12/29/09 4:00 am - Madison, TN
The New Year is just a few days away.  We'll be making resolutions and re-committing to things that we want to see changed.  And, its always a time to stop and reflect on the past year's events.  I thought that it would be a great opportunity to reflect on where we've been, where we are, and where we want to go (not just this year...  but since our life altering wls surgeries).

I've been to obesity and beyond...  seems like a dream at times, a nightmare at others.  Loose skin issues, battle scars from the actual surgery, hospital bills/insurance EOBs, oh you name it.  But in general, my weight got out of control and my health was fading fast.  WLS helped me to regain control, become healthy, get my life back, AND MORE!  It helped me to get the life I always wanted.

I'm in maintenance now.  Where the rubber meets the road.  Living with those daily choices, sometimes I fail, sometimes I deserve a shiny bariatric halo.  If I gain 5, I know how to lose 5.  I strive to keep it under control, always taking inventory of weight, measurements, medications, health issues...  for nothing is truly "100 lbs gone forever...."  This is a daily battle we all face.  It's reality that at any time, something could happen which causes weight gain...  I do the best I can each day to monitor all systems so to speak.

Physically physiqued - that's where I want to go.  I want to take this year to do some physical activities that I haven't done before.  Maybe run a 5K, pump some iron, build some muscle...  I want to tone up these abs of flab! 

Overall, it has been a wonderful experience.  All the emotional strain that I had in the first year is long gone, mostly forgotten, and its overshadowed much more by the terrific Wow and Non Scale Victory moments that I've had...

How about you?  Where ya been?  Where ya at?  Where ya goin?

Pam E.
on 12/29/09 9:13 am - Hermitage, TN
Ditto!

Two and half years out now -- in the maintance mode and fighting that  10 to 15 regain amount over the last 6 months.  My surgery was May of 2007 and I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't had many complications at all.  From 320 pounds to my low of 155  from size 32 to 12 -- currently still in the 12's but will be needing to get back to the gym and watching the calories if I want to stay there.  

WLS is a serious decision for anyone comteplating it.  But for me it's been a wonderful thing.  It's good to step back and remember I lost 165 pounds I never thought I could lose.  (More Like 155 pounds at the moment).  Now it's up to me to do the 10 pound tango.  

Susan J.
on 12/29/09 8:00 pm - Madison, TN

I rode the same train you were on to obesity and beyond.

This time 4 years ago I had just gotten my insurance approval for surgery and was waiting for my date. I was taking 6 prescriptions, 3 of them for diabetes, and my PCP was on the verge of putting me on insulin.

Today I take 2 prescriptions...an antidepressant and 1/4 of the dosage of medication I was on for Intracranial Hypertension. Gone are the diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, achy joints, incontinence, shortness of breath, Rosacea, fluid retention and GERD. I feel much younger than my 55 years and actually look forward to another 40+ (??) years of life.

Four years ago I wouldn't have even gone to ICE! at Gaylord. Now, not only do I go every year, I also go down the ice slide with the kids!!

This year I will work on strengthening not only my physical body but my inner body too. The past year has been hard as many of you know. The healing is coming, slowly for now but it's coming. I will continue to work on my emotional health along with my physical health.

I've already started working on the 25 lb stress gain. Twenty-three years ago when I lost my brother, I gained 50+ lbs in less than 6 months. So, one thing this surgery has helped me with is reducing the amount I ate when I didn't have the emotional strength to think about when and what to feed my body and just ate what was put in front of me by very well meaning but uninformed people. As well as the reminder that poor food choices would make me sick.

The support of this board, my extended WLS family (I can't call you JUST friends), and the Baptist support group have also reminded me that I have to take responsibility for my own food choices and do what I know to do. I was given a great tool but it is still up to me to make the best use of it.

Overall I am very blessed and I look forward to 2010 being a much better year. I wish the same for all of our WLS community, from the veterans, to the newbies, to the preops who will join us during the year...may 2010 be our healthiest year yet!

BTW - we are still planning a camping/rappelling trip in the Spring so watch for info.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

KittenLove
on 12/30/09 5:41 am - Around Knoxville, TN
WOW, Mel! How thought provoking!

This time last year i was about 4 months post op and still very very heavy. no longer on the diabetes and blood pressure meds but strugglin'...heck, i was on 3 oz of soft food! lol

2009 has been amazing. I've been in maintenance for about a month and this is so hard! Fitness wise -- i am very proud of myself. I've embraced exercise since day one and its paying off. I'm bouncing between 137-140 and in a size 4 pants and a small shirt. and I'm running my first 5K on New Year's Day! yes, i want to run it all!!!!

I'm looking forward to better health!!!

Be happy. 

Most Active
Recent Topics