Does anyone know???

stromatt8163
on 12/28/09 5:39 am
Hey all....I had gastric bypass on Dec 1.  Ever since the day I got home from the hospital everything makes me sick to my stomach.  It started with the protein drinks and now its anything and everything.  I'll eat just a little bit and it makes me sooooo nauseous.  Sometimes it gets really bad to the point I feel like I need to vomit, but it won't come up.  On those really bad times, I start hyperventilating and crying for almost an hour.  I know this can't be normal....Has this happened to anyone else out there???  I need some suggestions, please! 

Thank you for anything you can tell me......

Kenneth C.
on 12/28/09 6:04 am - Hendersonville, TN
 I was nauseous for awhile with things, protein, eggs and such for awhile, my doctor actually prescribed some meds for it to help. Because of it, protein drinks that I had before surgery, I couldn't stomach and thus for a good month got no where near my surgeon's goal of 70 grams, it was just a number I kept striving for as I found things I could tolerate.

I would recommend calling your surgeon's office and check with them if they think this is normal and if they believe it is, if they can give you anything to help with it.

I know it's tough, keep experimenting with the things you can tolerate and find creative ways to add protein to them. Such as protein chai tea, protein pudding, adding protein powder to things that you can tolerate and remembering the foods you can have for your stage that have protein that you have done well with it. You get the idea, I'm sure. There are alot of creative ideas like that on the RNY board. For some it's easy after surgery and there are those of us that it takes time. Good luck!!!
Kenny  - Facebook or view my blog — krcoffman.blogspot.com
HW 340/SW 297/CW 170/GW 190 — Start of Program Weight 315

SheliaB
on 12/28/09 6:53 am, edited 12/28/09 6:56 am - Nashville, TN
I stayed so sick that I was almost green, you can ask Susan, Paula and Melinda and they will verify how sick I stayed (even Pam Davis knows how sick I was).  They got me off of Isopure, aka Isopuke and onto some solid protein alternatives such as protein pudding, oatmeal among other things.  This really helped out ALOT!!  I was even on Zofran and Phenergan and neither of these did much for me at all.  I was so sick that I would work out with my personal trainer and then puke in the trash can we carried around then start back working out.  So TRUST ME, when I say I know exactly how you feel!  Try some other proteins and see if these things will help, the oatmeal and puddings are both soft enough they would probably fit into your puree stage, however make sure you contact your Dr. too, this way they can check to make sure there is not anything else going on like a stricture, always good to be on the safe side!!

Good Luck and I PRAY that you will get some relief soon!!!
Shelia

belovedsmile311
on 12/28/09 10:57 am
I experienced the same nausea, found out mine was due to
1.) dehydration  and  2.) my bowels stopped moving

I had to get admitted to the hospital for a couple of days BUT the doctor put me on Reglan to get my bowels moving again plus I received IV fluids.
I've been fine ever since, but for sure....call your surgeon's office and speak with them.

I hope everything goes well for you!

Check out my blog!!  http://newzamy.blogspot.com 

Bob L.
on 12/28/09 3:36 pm - Clarksville, TN
I lived off SF Jello made with protein bullets.  I would get a protein bullet from say GNC make sf jello per the instructions but leave a few ounces of water out to accommodate the liquid protein bullet.  Never tasted the protein just cold, smooth jello. Don,t forget sf Popsicles. C'ya Bob

Kenneth C.
on 12/29/09 12:54 am - Hendersonville, TN
Yeah, I forgot about that, my wife made me some frozen popsicles from Isopure or Nectar fruit flavors. That helped alot too.
Kenny  - Facebook or view my blog — krcoffman.blogspot.com
HW 340/SW 297/CW 170/GW 190 — Start of Program Weight 315

Susan J.
on 12/29/09 2:56 am - Madison, TN

May I ask for a list of exact foods and/or drinks you are eating? If we know exactly what you are trying to eat we may be able to give more detailed assistance.

It could be that you have a very picky pouch, what I refer to as a grouchy pouch or a bratty pouch. LOL It may just not like what you are trying to feed it even though you are making very good choices. Kinda like a picky 2 year old.

I know I was not able to tolerate a scrambled egg for the first 18 months. I could eat eggs prepared other ways just not scrambled. It took me a while to figure that out.

My pouch still won't accept tuna even at 4 years out. I know before I swallow the first bite that it is not staying with me.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

stromatt8163
on 12/29/09 3:44 am
First of all, thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  It is much appreciated!

My list of foods I've been trying is baked chicken, turkey, scrambled eggs, tuna, tilapia, mushrooms, green beans, sf popsicles, sf pudding and that's about it.  I can only eat a few bites and then I get really nauseous.  Sometimes I get nauseous before I even eat because of the smells.  For some reason, my sense of smell has been in overdrive since the surgery. 

But like I said, I get nauseous, but I never vomit.  On a couple of occasions, I've been so nauseous that it hurts so bad that I end up crying for an hour.  I feel like I'd feel better if I could vomit, but I never do.

Also, any suggestions for over the counter laxatives?  I have been constipated lately (sorry for the gross detail)!

Thanks again....you guys are the greatest!

SheliaB
on 12/29/09 9:41 am - Nashville, TN
Both Melinda and Susan are right, it could be a picky pouch or something else could be wrong, like I said earlier, better safe than sorry!!   You mentioned smells, well I had forgotten about that, I too was very sensitive to smell and carried a small jar of Vicks Vapor Rub around and placed a little under my nose when smells got to me and it helped a lot too!!!   I used and still use MOM Milk of Magnesia for the constipation issues, but really check with your doctor before you let things go too much further!!  Best of Luck and let us know how you are doing!!

Susan J.
on 12/29/09 8:15 pm - Madison, TN

That's quite a variety of very dense foods for only 4 weeks out. Baked chicken and turkey are very hard on the pouch in the beginning and many of us were not able to tolerate them for several months.

Try backing it up to very moist, flaky fish; eggs - try poached or soft boiled; ricotta cheese with a bit of low sugar spaghetti sauce; ground turkey with the same spaghetti sauce; and CarbMaster yogurt. Keep the SF popsicles and very small servings of the green beans, after you have had your protein.

Lose the mushrooms and SF pudding for now, unless you are putting protein powder in the pudding. The mushrooms have no real nutritional value and are taking room better spent on protein. Same for the SF pudding.

Are you using a baby spoon to eat with and measuring your portion? At this point you really have no way of "feeling" full and it is possible that you are eating just a tad past the capacity of your pouch. The serving sizes in your handbook should be a guideline not a requirement. You need to stop at the first sign that you might be full. For me it is a hiccup. For others it is a sneeze or a runny nose. Learn to read your body's signals and stop before you reach the point of nausea.

Stay hydrated!!! This cannot be stressed enough. Even mild dehydration can cause nausea.

As Melinda said, check with your doctor to see if there is a possible stricture.

Good luck sweetie. I hope this phase passes soon.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Most Active
Recent Topics