Attention: Sleeve self payers :)

2010Thin
on 11/29/09 10:08 pm, edited 12/4/09 11:11 am
VSG on 01/16/10 with
Hello everyone!

I'm currently living without insurance.  I'm almost 100 pounds overweight.  I've struggled with my weight all my life.  I'm 36 years old and I long to be free of it... as well as the sleep apnea and high blood pressure.   I want to go places and do things with my family without worrying about if I'm the fattest person in the joint.  I don't want to try to judge the sturdiness of a chair before sitting down anymore!   I want to ride a roller coaster without being afraid that my fat butt won't fit in the seat. 

I know that Baptist is offering a 25% discount on the lapband (making the price about $12000)  and for about a week I was really excited.  That is, until I started reading some of the complications from the band on this board and the reoccuring cost of the band.  I'm now leaning towards the sleeve. 

If you self paid for the sleeve, what did you pay and where did you have it done?

I really, really don't want to go to Mexico to but I will if I have to.  Being a single parent, I don't want to stray too far from home, but I don't want to spend every penny we have.

Michael S.
on 11/30/09 7:52 am
Hello, and welcome.

The choice is ultimately yours.  I would strongly recommend that you attend one of the Baptist informational Seminars that they hold to get an idea about all the different types of surgeries available.

I would talk to the surgeons as there are alot of very successful bad patients.

Have you thought about RNY bypass as well?

Think it over and go to one of the informational seminars.

Michael.
hollykim
on 11/30/09 9:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
WLS is an exclusion on my insurance. The price I was quoted at Centennial was $16,500 for the sleeve and $25,500.00 for the RNY. I am not even interested in Lapband.
These prices are still too high for me so I am going to Mexico. I will be paying $6,000.00 for the sleeve plus about $600.00 in airfare. There are surgeons at Centennial who will follow you post op no matter where you have your surgery. MY PCP is also on board for following me post op.
Good luck on your journey!
Holly

2010Thin
on 11/30/09 11:26 am
VSG on 01/16/10 with

Baptist quoted me $19,000 for the sleeve on self pay.  I almost fell out of my chair!    

What are you having to do before surgery (tests? diet?)

How long are you staying in Mexico?

I called the Nicholson Clinic in Plano, Texas today and their self pay rate is $12,200.    They said I would need to stay in Plano for about 2 weeks. 

$6000 seems really cheap.  Is that a special deal?

Pam Davis
on 12/1/09 7:44 pm - Franklin, TN
This link will take you to our self pay rates at Centennial (Center of Excellence designation by ASMBS, Blue Cross, Cigna, United Healthcare) www.cmcwls.com/default/affordability. If you have surgery somewhere else and one of our surgeons agree to see you postoperatively. In addition to the surgeon's office visit (and fees for adjustment if you have a band), there is a one time $500.00 fee for the program aftercare (access to the dietitians, exercise physiologist and psychologist led support groups). If you or anyone else out there choose to go to Mexico for surgery, please, please do not leave without obtaining a full copy of your medical records, including the operative note in ENGLISH.

Wishing you the best of luck on your weight loss journey!

Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

MerryMary
on 12/2/09 12:00 am - Brentwood, TN

Pam,

I noticed that the seminar booklet and the web page that you have mentioned do not include the self-pay rates for the DS.  Dr. Houston's office gave me that information since I was a self-pay.  I think that it would be a good idea to present the information to a potential patient.  I think with the omission of the DS information, that it gives the impression that the surgery may not be encouraged or done often.

As a matter of fact, I went to a seminar in June trying to find out options for a revision for my band.  I listened to Dr. Houston and he gave a detailed and non-biased presentation on each surgery.  Since it wasn't listed with the self-pay, I really wasn't considering it.  I spoke with Dr. Houston during the break and asked him if he thought the sleeve or the RNY would be better for me.  He responded, "What about the DS?"  I assumed it was rarely done and had to be done in two parts.  I am thankful that he clarified that with me and feel that I have gotten the best surgery for me.  I am very happy with my DS and I would not want someone to eliminate that as an option just because the information was not there.

Mary

Pam Davis
on 12/2/09 7:49 pm - Franklin, TN
Thank you for pointing out the DS option. It is not an "on purpose" omission, we have our seminar books printed in mass quanities so they are less expensive and the new version will include the DS costs. Same thing with the website, you wouldn't think it would be so difficult to add another column to a chart...hopefully it will be added within the month.

Thanks again!
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

LizMoore
on 11/30/09 11:25 am - San Diego, CA
I had the lapband removed after struggling with it for 3 1/2 yrs..they did the gastric bypass and that has been sooo much better ! I have a friend that had the sleeve and she has done very well with it.
jharrington8172
on 11/30/09 11:29 am - Hermitage, TN
my friend went to Mexico and had the sleeve with Dr. Joya (www.drjoya.com) and she has done wonderful.  I was considering the sleeve with him when my insurance had an exclusion.  I waited and had the DS with Dr. Houston at CMC, but would have gone to Mexico.  The only thing I have heard about Mexico is do not go to a boarder city. 

I would check out all the local hospitals for thier prices and dont forget about Dr. Westmoreland in Mboro - i hear he does a lot of sleeves. 

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

Terry C.
on 12/1/09 4:41 am - Oak Ridge, TN
You may want to check out the BPD-DS as well.  It has great long term sucess.

Dr. Boyce at New Life Bariatric Center in Knoxville did mine and I was self pay.  They charge $22,500 for the surgery and another $3000 for is paid for the year-long program (nutritionist, exercise physiologist, classes, etc.). I think the initial consult is $300. 

This practice is a Center of Excellence and with self pay they enroll you in an insurance program called BLIS. This is to cover any complications that may arise. 

Terry Lynn

Most Active
Recent Topics