anyone have Dr. Houston for their sleeve surgery

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 1:18 am - Hendersonville, TN
I am a band to sleeve revision and i am still researching where to go to have this procedure done since I am self-pay. Dr. H. is my current follow-up doctor now. I know he has done some revisions and lots of sleeves. I would just love to hear any comments from people with sleeves by Dr. H.

Thanks!
k9ophile
on 11/16/09 1:55 am
As you may be aware, a sleeve is part of the DS.  Mine was not a revision.  However, Dr. Houston is extremely skilled and easy to work with.  He will not attempt to do anything unless he is 100% sure of his ability to perform the task.  I was his first DS and I had absolutley no doubts about his skill.  You will be in good hands with him.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

MerryMary
on 11/16/09 2:42 am - Brentwood, TN
Congrats on getting a revision.  I am a former bandster with a revison to the DS with Dr. Houston.  He has excellent surgical skills and takes the time to make sure you are getting the best procedure for you.

Some people have problems with the bands slipping and go through all the unfills and such.  I never had that.  It just wasn't the best tool for me.  I would be so tight in the morning, then it seemed that it would open up and I felt that I was starving.  I still couldn't get a lot of calories in and I was only taking in 800-1000 calories on most days.  However, I stopped losing very quickly and I was still 70 pounds from goal.

My band surgery mate had the band removed in April and Dr. Houston did the sleeve on her.  The weight has fallen off quickly.  However, I knew that I was being honest in that I really did not eat that much.  I feared going from one restrictive tool to another and it not being enough.  Since I was self pay, too, I wanted to only have one final surgery.  Although the DS is more involved, I am 100% certain that it was the right surgery for me.  My body is processing the food with the metabolism of a teen-ager.

Dr. Houston had some concerns about doing a DS on me because my BMI was around 37 at the time of consult for revision.  It had dropped only 5 points with the band.  However, he and I talked at length and we agreed that the DS would be my best option.  I am convinced that my metabolism was shot and the sleeve would have been of some benefit, but not enough to get me to goal.

With whatever surgery Dr. Houston performs on you, you will be getting the best care.  He is the only one of the three surgeons at Centennial who is performing the DS.  For whatever reason, there may be some cautious approval of the DS from the group.  Therefore, the sleeve may be recommended more often.

I encourage you to be really honest with yourself about your eating habits.  The sleeve may be what you need.  However, if you think you may have metabolic issues, I highly recommend the DS.  I taked with another band to DS patient of his this week and he is now scheduling the DS in January.  He tends to prefer for the DS to be his first surgery of the day.

Best wishes on your revision!
Mary

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 4:17 am - Hendersonville, TN
Thanks, Mary.

I have had a consult with Dr. H. and asked his honest opinion, given my history, which procedure would be best. Since I had so much success with the band before my complications he said the sleeve would work.

I lost about 50% of my weight with the band but I did have complications. Now I can't even have fluid in my band because I can't get anything down. I also have reflux. He said I might have a hernia that could fix the reflux, but anyhoo. I have regained almost all of my weight back in the past two years (I did just have a baby 6 months ago, so I had had fluid taken out before I got pregnant).

I am very thankful for my band. I have had two beautiful children since losing the first part of my weight, and got a bit smaller after the birth of my first child. I still had 50-70 pounds to go, though. And now it is all back. Except I don't look as big because I exercise regularly. People still talk about how much weight I've lost and I look at them like they are from Mars because I am totally depressed about my weight regain.

So, I know I want the sleeve. I would just love to hear people who got the actual sleeve procedure from him if they are on here.

thanks, though, for all the info!
MerryMary
on 11/16/09 7:25 am - Brentwood, TN
It sounds like the sleeve is a really good option for you.  I will email you the contact information of my band surgery mate who had the band removed and the sleeve done in April.  She is down to a size 8!  She doesn't post here, but I am sure she would be happy to talk with you about her journey.  She loves her sleeve!
Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics