Food Journal

Rodney29
on 11/12/09 10:39 pm
what is the best one to use.
k9ophile
on 11/13/09 2:43 am
Hi!  I'm addicted to Google.  I searched for the best food journal and in the end, created my own.  I found lots of journals that were close to what I wanted, but not quite "perfect".  I unashamedly borrowed what I liked about several of them and created my own.  I print the pages out, punch holes in the sheets and keep them in a three ring binder.  Google is your friend.  Who knows? You might just find one you like as it is published.  Don't forget to check out WLS surgeon's sites.  They sometimes have recommendations on this subject.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Rodney29
on 11/13/09 2:45 am
thank you. i been looking haven't found one i like just yet. so i'm like you i might make my own out of a notebook.
melsreturn
on 11/13/09 4:04 am, edited 11/13/09 4:34 am - Madison, TN
It depends on whether you want one for online, or to actually carry with you. 

Online, good ones are Livestrong (aka TheDailyPlate) and Fitday.

If you actually want one to carry with you at all times just to log the food in (I find this helpful because I forget throughout the day)...  Here is the one I like.  It's called "I Will Lose Weight This Time! Diet Journal" by Alex Lluch.    You can find it on Amazon, but this book is sold at your local Books A Million.  I have not seen it at Barnes & Noble or Borders but they may have it by now.  And, you can take a look at it there in the store before spending money ordering online).  It has a white spiral binder on it, so its easy to carry, move around, etc.  The front comes with some great explanations and helps. 

Here is something I wrote about it in the past:

I have never found a diet journal that works for me. Either the boxes they provided to write in  were too small, it was an awkward size to keep in my bag, OR it did not contain all the headings I wanted such as: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, snack, exercise, vitamins/supplements, and a place to write my struggles. I do utilize The Daily Plate, now LiveStrong, but there are times I want to write my food down if I'm not near a computer so that I will not forget. It's hard enough for me to remember things; it's hard to sit at the computer at the end of a day and try to recall all the foods I've consumed!

A vendor at work gives a desk calendar with a left sided wire binder each year. I love it; has plenty of planning space. So I began working the calendar in hopes of taking it to a printer like Kinko's and perhaps making my own food journal. I had even formatted it in Excel, which wasn't the best choice... but it was something I was at least working towards.

Then a few days ago, I was perusing the books (in the Diet section) at Books A Million and came across this book.

And, NO LIE, the reason I picked it? It was so similiar to my Excel template that I just created last week! I snagged that sucker up so fast... there were three other ladies standing near me, and I was not going to allow them the opportunity to purchase it! Let me just say, this is a "Melinda book" if there ever was one... I have faithfully kept that journal by my side all day yesterday, and already I am excited to start working on it today. It also gives you stickers that are gold star and say "I Did It". So because I completed my daily goals and did not go over my food limits, I received a gold star! I feel so accomplished.

I encourage you to take a look at this book.

Former Elizabeth
on 11/13/09 5:12 am
I made one of my own, as well.   I also use Mydailyplate for actually tracking how much protein I'm getting.   But I also wanted to have a place to record when and which supplements or medications I've taken and notes about how I feel and about how my system reacts to various things.  Oh, and my blood sugar readings, too.   I also record other various bodily functions.

I had the DS and there is a lot to get used to!   I didn't do my little journal when I was away on holiday last month, but as soon as we got home, I started doing it again.  I kind of laughed at myself for doing that, but my husband said that he totally thought it was a good idea.   Everything I'm doing, even now at 9 months out, is pretty much an experiment.   So I keep track of what's happening and what follows.  

I really think it has helped me to get a handle on what I tolerate well and what I don't, more quickly than I would have done without it.

Dennie
Rodney29
on 11/13/09 8:00 am
Thank you all for the good info i will try to look for that book. It's always something new everyday when you have this surgery, to me anyway. I see why so many say it is like being on a rollercoaster.
Pam Davis
on 11/13/09 10:31 pm - Franklin, TN
All of our patients (Centennial) are eligible to utilize RealizeMySuccess which was developed specifically for bariatric patients with programs specific for band, bypass and sleeve patients. It includes not only an online food journal, but also a bariatric recipe database, exercise tracking, MOOD journal, vitamin tracking, tracking your success, goal setting and the ability to set up text message reminders (I have one sent to my phone every day reminding me to drink more water). This is the link: RealizeMySuccess. Once you go to the site and register, I will have to confirm you as one of our patients, then you will have access.
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Michael S.
on 11/13/09 12:17 pm
I currently use the Daily plate website (livestrong.com).  I have an iPhone and am able to track my caloric intake and exercise via the app on my iphone.  I works great!!  It even has recipes from bariatriceating.com!

Good Luck

Michael
Most Active
Recent Topics