weight loss before surgery !

emtcmw
on 10/28/09 7:55 am - NEWPORT, TN
Ok so I spoke with the doctors office today.. I was honest when saying I have gained 15 pds since my first consult. She told me that I will need to lose those 15 pds before I will be able to have surgery. So if anyone has any suggestions for a diet than please please let me know !! Thanks

Carla

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 8:00 am - TN
When is your surgery date? Perhaps the cayenne pepper diet?
susielarry190
on 10/28/09 9:34 am - mt juliet, TN
What is the cayenne pepper diet?
SheliaB
on 10/28/09 9:19 am - Nashville, TN
I was a regular poster on this site, however I do more reading than posting.  I am a patient of Dr. Spaw at Baptist and I think I remeCmber the pre-op diet as one week of two protein shakes (Carnation Instant Breakfast)  and one Lean Cuisine meal. You can eat it in any order, I did my meal at lunch and shakes for breakfast and dinner.  You can also have all the broth and SF Jello or SF Popcicles you want too, but do get at least 80 ounces of water per day.  Then the second week, it is the same except that you will not have the Lean Cuisine meal, all liquids at this point.  If my memory is incorrect, someone please correct me. 

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

Below I posted Susan Maria's Basic Bariatric Eating Plan from www.BariatricEating.com

Breakfast...250 calories and 15-20 grams protein...choose one and do it everyday this coming week!

Protein drink, protein shake, ready to drink protein
Egg and Morningstar Farm sausage patty or a regular Brown & Serve sausage link
Ricotta, cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit with a spoonful of one of the Inspire Protein Powders swirled in there (maybe a few sliced almonds)
Two cheese sticks
Breakfast Vitamins: 1 Bariatric Advantage Chewable Multi Formula plus 1 Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge with food

Mid morning protein supplement... a 100 calorie, 15-20 gram protein boost

Nectar fruity protein drink, a Believe ready-to-drink shake, Extreme Smoothie ready-to-drink shake
Mozarella stick
Dannon Light and Fit yogurt
1/2 Power Crunch protein wafer bar, or 1/2 Labrada Rockin Roll Protein Nut Roll
Coffee with OhYeah! Protein Drink Mini's protein and DaVinci sugar free Caramel syrup
bag of Kay's Naturals Crisp Protein Snacks

Lunch...300-350 calories and 15-20 grams of protein consisting of food you prepare for and take to the office. Don't leave what you eat at your desk to chance. PLAN YOUR LUNCH. You'll burn more calories digesting your midday meal because protein is more difficult to break down than carbohydrates or fat and it will stay with you longer into your day.

Roast deli turkey rolled up. Use a little salsa or ranch for dipping sauce, or roll up with hummus or whole grain mustard, or wasabi mustard. (MAYO is 100 calories per TEASPOON as are all fats, so measure and use as little as possible or substitute mustard or salsa-based moistening agents)
1/2 cup tuna salad or ricotta or cottage cheese on top of a slice of tomato
Shredded salmon or deli meat blended with shredded lettuce, baby tomatoes, and lower fat dressing
NO crackers, no rolls, no chips, no tortillas, no low carb wraps
Lunch Vitamins: 1 Bariatric Advantage B-12 plus 1 Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge with food

Mid-afternoon protein supplement...a 100 calorie, 15-20 gram protein boost

Nectar fruity protein drink, Believe ready-to-drink shake, Extreme Smoothie ready-to-drink shake
Mozarella stick
Dannon Light and Fit yogurt
1/2 Power Crunch protein wafer bar, or 1/2 OhYeah! Good Grab protein bar
Coffee with OhYeah! ready-to-drink Vanilla Cream protein and DaVinci sugar free Caramel syrup

Supper...a target of 300-400 calories and 20 grams of protein consisting of lean protein and a small salad or lower carb vegetable.

Make this a standard meal comprised of grilled, pan sauteed, or baked protein such as fish, chicken, or egg... with different bottled sauces or jar salsas to moisten and a small salad.

Pan sauteed shrimp, with a little bottled salsa to moisten
Grilled or pan sauteed turkey burger
Baked salmon
Broiled tilapia filet
Two egg omelet - saute a few mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, onion, and add cheese
All protein served with a tossed chopped salad of romaine lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, cucumber cubes, and tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic... toss in a big bowl to coat entire salad. If you make a bigger salad, use 3 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar... be sure to season with salt and pepper!) You can use different salad ingredients for variety... sliced olives, cubed cukes, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped artichoke hearts. Sometimes, I just have sliced grape tomatoes and red onion... or tomato and avocado and spoon it on to pan sauteed shrimp with salt and pepper... easy and fast.
Supper Vitamins: 1 Bariatric Advantage Chewable Multi Formula plus 1 Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge with food

No bread, no potato, no rice, no pasta, no tortilla, no wraps, no low carb bread, no crackers.

If you are an evening snacker as I am... use either your mid morning or mid afternoon supplement as an 8-9pm supplement so you will not mindlessly snack. Give yourself permission to have one of the 100 calorie supplement foods listed as a planned eating event.

Bedtime: 1 Bariatric Advantage Passion Fruit Chewable Iron

emtcmw
on 11/4/09 11:44 pm - NEWPORT, TN
Thank you so very much , I want to have this weight of before they even give me an answer . I just want to be ready so there is no more waiting . The ofice called today and they are sending my paperwork off hopefully I will know something in a few weeks.. Again thanks for all the help with the diet !

Carla

SheliaB
on 11/5/09 2:01 am - Nashville, TN
Best Wishes and you can do it, one bite or sip at a time!!

Missy C.
on 10/28/09 9:37 am - Hendersonville, TN
 my suggestion?  no fads, no diets just get serious about the way ya hafta eat afterwards, know what I mean?  

focus on lean meats, watch your calories, don't eat anything white  (rice, pasta, tortillas, bread, sugar)   cut out the sodas and candies and any of the other things that got us to where we are/were before surgery.  It does suck in the beginning but it will help you immensely when u MUST eat like that. 
You on facebook?  So am I.  Search for Missy French Coffman
HW/ 338  Starting Weight w/clinic /324  Surgery/307  Current/175 Goal/168

emtcmw
on 11/4/09 11:46 pm - NEWPORT, TN
Thanks for the info .. I guess that is a good thing to start at since that is the way it will be after surgery..

Carla

Most Active
Recent Topics