New, and Scared...

Kathy Newton
on 10/25/09 7:13 am - LaVergne, TN
Hi, I don't know you yet, but wanted to let you know you are in my prayers. Don't think of anything negative like complications. As long as your trust your surgeon to do the best he can do, then nothing should go wrong.  Us post-ops are holding your place on the losers bench. Scott is great at making you a losers bench of your own. I'm almost 4 years out, and if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heart beat.

Just breathe, relax and think of that slender body come next summer. Whisle, whisle, whisles coming your way when you wear your new skinny swimsuit. Think about how healthy you will be and look.  The more positive things you think of, the less nervous you will be.  Once they get you all hooked up, papers signed, and just before they wheel you into surgery is when they will start giving you the happy breakfast juice.  You are going to be just fine and dandy.  Remember God is guiding the surgeons hands.  Just trust in Him to see you thru this and there won't be complications.  Just follow the surgeons instructions.

May God travel with you on this new and exciting journey.  Kathy
 Kathy Newton

MerryMary
on 10/25/09 11:32 am - Brentwood, TN
Congrats on your date!  You will do fine. REALLY!!!!!!

You asked about something to calm your nerves, so I will give you my experience.  I had surgery at Centennial and was due at the hospital as 6:00.  When I got to the hospital, I went to the check-in and waited just a few minutes.  I was called back to give a urine sample.  Well, of  course, I couldn't go.  I was still in the lab when my pager went off and they needed me at check in.  I left the urine jar empty and went out.  They took me to a room to get my vitals and get changed into my surgical attire.  Then the lab tech showed up.  Since I couldn't pee, they would need to take some blood.  In a few minutes, the lab tech comes back and announces that I am not pregnant, so I am good to go.  Now, I am 53, still going like a teenager, but I would have died if she told me that I was pregnant!  I had no idea that was the reason they wanted a urine test.  Moral of the story, make sure you can urinate before surgery.  After everything was cleared, a family member was able to come back and be in the room with me.

Anyway, it was about 7:15 by that time and they were wheeling me down the hall.  I think that was the first time it actually hit me that I was just a few minutes away from surgery.  Panic hit me for about 30 seconds.  As soon as I was in the prep area, multiple nurses started asking me the same questions over and over.  What was my full name and age?  What was I having done?  Dr. Houston came in and asked me specific questions about if I had any requests in my research for my surgery (channel length, stomach size, etc.).  I was busy and clear through all of that.  Then the anesthesiologist came immediately and they started putting various connections to my veins.  They talked to me all the while, so I was too busy answering the same questions to have time to be nervous.

Then suddenly, I was being wheeled to the OR, which was 50 feet away.  I remember seeing the table that I would need to be moved to, and that was the last thing I was aware of until  5.5 hours later when I became aware that my brother was talking.  I had arrived at my room and everything was over.

Honestly, you are going to do fine.  They are going to keep you busy from the time you hit the hospital door until you arrive back to your room and you really won't have time to panic.

Best wishes!
Mary

Writemindedlefty
on 10/25/09 11:57 am - Nashville, TN
Thanks sooooo much.

I feel so much better now. Just need to get past this juice diet for 7 more days and I'll be good if I don't chew my foot off! :D

Thanks again!
ErikaAnn
on 10/26/09 8:19 am - MT. JULIET, TN
The pre-op diet was the hardest part of the last year for me!  After that it was smooth-sailing!

2Corinthians 5:7

Writemindedlefty
on 10/26/09 9:28 am - Nashville, TN
This pre-op diet is giving me a KILLER headache.

maggielou
on 10/26/09 12:01 pm
i completely understand what you are going thru.  i started my pre op diet today -- had big headache om the lack of pepsi.... just kept telling myself  this is for a better outcome--  i am so nervous and i just keep running everything i have read and seen thru my mind to make sure i do not forget anything... 

congrats and god bless on your new life.... i will be shortly behind you on 11/9    
Writemindedlefty
on 10/27/09 9:04 am - Nashville, TN
thanks... i never even drank soda...guess it's from lack of carbs or something.

bleck lol
Former Elizabeth
on 10/28/09 11:39 am
Hi - congratulations on being so close to your surgery.   It's so normal to be scared.   It would actualy be really weird not to be.

As soon as you get to the holding area, you'll meet some nurses and sooner or later (probably pretty much sooner) you'll talk with the anesthesiologist and/or the nurse anesthetist.   Tell that person how very anxious you are, and ASK for something for nerves.

You'll have to sign some papers before they can give you anything - you can't give a valid informed consent if you've had pain medication or sedatives.   Ask for the Milk of Amnesia.   They'll be happy to help you feel better.

Good luck!

Dennie

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Child"

Most Active
Recent Topics