Important information about tracking exercise and food intake (reminder about Baptist Support...

Michael S.
on 9/30/09 10:11 am, edited 9/30/09 11:26 am
Hi all,

Thought that I would start a new post about the above topic.  Tracking your exercise and ALL the food that you intake.

I'm post-op for just over a year now, and now in maintenance mode (trying not to lose any more weight).

I have all but become obsessed over tracking EVERYTHING that I eat or drink and exercise or calorie burn.  Recently my gym at work started selling heart rate monitors ranging from about $40 to $160.  I decided that I should get one to keep track of the calories that I burn during my exercise program.  Since I'm in maintenance, this is important because the calories that I burn I need to "eat" otherwise I will continue to lose weight.

I have upped my calorie intake to 1800 per day and about 180g carbs.  If, for example, I exercise and burn 500 calories I need to eat 2300 calories that day, or I will lose weight over time.  As all you post-ops know it is hard getting in the minimum calories let alone the extra "exercise calories"!

Now for those of you that are new post op, you are not likely eating 1800 calories, prob right around 700-800 (women a little less).

The heart rate monitor that I have was $120 including tax.  It is the F7 model from Polar.  It included the better chest strap.  You are able to upload your exercise to the internet and keep track of your workouts via the Polar website.  I however use the Livestrong website.  I am able to also track my food intake there as well.

If you are familar with the Daily Plate website, it is the same thing.  Check it out.  I keep track of EVERYTHING that I eat including any coffee from Starbucks (remember that if you get anything but BLACK coffee, it will have some calories in it).  One thing that I just notice the other day is it even has most of the Bariatriceating.com website recipes already entered!  Just search for baritriceating.com.  Taco Soup, the vanilla egg custards, etc.  AWESOME!!

Also for any of you that have an iPhone, you may want to spend the $2.99 for the app from the apple App store and keep track on your iPhone or iTouch device.  I enter everything, and sometimes "preplan" the next day's meals.  Check it out.

I hope that this helps anyone that is either trying to maintain, still losing or just think like me, we want to make sure that we know EXACTLY what we eat and do on a daily basis.

Good luck!

Michael.

PS - Don't forget, next tuesday (Oct 6th) is the Baptist Support Group meeting.  Everyone is welcome.  Possible topic will be Motivation.
Most Active
Recent Topics