protein mixes

emtcmw
on 9/16/09 4:09 am - NEWPORT, TN

I am approaching having surgery and i was wondering what the best protein mixes are and i guess best tasting also !! 

Carla

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/09 4:37 am - Sevierville, TN
Hi,
The best approach to protein shakes is to get some samples and find out what you like. I learned quickly that just because others think something tastes good doesnt mean that I will like it.
There is a website online called vitalady.com who offers samples for sale where you can try some before you buy a large tub. Personally, I like some of the Nectar Flavors...Fuzzy Navel, Lemon Tea, and Caribbean Cooler and I like the BSN Lean Dessert Chocolate Coconut Candy Bar Flavor. I mix the Nectar with Crystal Light for more flavor and mix the Caribbean Cooler and Chocolate Candy Bar with Light Vanilla Soymilk. I'm lactose intolerant. I do suggest that when you buy anything, you try it several different ways before you give up on it. Sometimes people have a lot of problems finding the one that fits them best.
I wish you luck.
Karen
emtcmw
on 9/16/09 6:23 am - NEWPORT, TN
Thanks so much for the info.. I feele like I have so much to learn ..  any good info is greatly appreciated!!!

Carla

cathyteal
on 9/16/09 10:56 pm - Arlington, TN
Sunshine Heart is right.  Every body's taste is different.  I got some samples before I had surgery and hated some of it before surgery.  The sweet tasting stuff was horrible to me right after surgery and now I love it.  You kind of go through a phase with it. 

I would suggest that you find a basic vanilla and chocolate that you like. Get some samples and see what you like best.   My personal fav is Isopure Natural. There are some that HATE it and some that LOVE it.  That is where your taste buds will just have to tell you what you like best.   After the initial discovery phase, find somewhere where you can get it for zero shipping cost.  That will help with the expense. \

I have found that you can add things to the Chocolate and Vanilla flavors and make just about anything you want. I add yogurt, coco, sugar free flavored syrup, instant sf jello pudding mix and just about anything that does not add calories and carbs.  I make some killer shakes. 

There are some GREAT recipes for shakes on Susan Maria's Before and After Web Page.  You have to be creative.  I have become a shake DIVA!   I love them now.  

PS.  After 6 months out, I LOVE the Inspire brand from Susan Maria's beforeandafter.com.  They have some great flavors. chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge, Peanut Butter Cookie, Pom Raz Sangria, Ice Cream Sandwich, and Some Coffee Flavors.   They are my favorite now, but I would start with Chocolate and Vanilla first just to get the hand of it.    I couldn't live without my shakes now.  I look forward to them!  YUM YUM! 

Good luck.
HW/297 SW/265 CW/206 GW/165  Lowest Weight 171 (12-09)

Susan J.
on 9/17/09 10:59 pm - Madison, TN

Definitely get the samples...Bariatriceating.com also sells samples and sampler kits.

BUT - don't try them until AFTER surgery. Your tastes will definitely change after surgery and what you loved pre-op just might taste horrible to you post-op and vice versa.

Another thing, something you don't care for immediately after surgery just might become your favorite a few months later so don't toss or give anything away until you've given it another try a few months later.

It's funny, they operate on our tummies but our tastebuds change. Who'd a thunk it??

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

lynn58
on 9/18/09 10:50 pm - stanley, NC
 Hi, I went through a lot of different protein mixes and I have to say the only brand I use now is Lean dessert  . I love the banana cream . I get it on ebay for $ 22.00 with free shipping . Love it .

Most Active
Recent Topics