Post Op diet

Robin B.
on 11/15/03 8:03 am - Wilmington, NC
Hey everybody, I'm scheduled for my surgery next Friday. I was just wondering what kinds of diets you had post-op? Do you try to reach a certain amount of protein each day? How long were you on the liquid phase of the diet? Thanks for any help! Robin Wilmington, NC
Pat S.
on 11/15/03 8:31 am - Lenoir, NC
Robin, I am pre-op so I am not an expert on the post-op diet, but I did want to offer my congratulations to you! Next Friday! I am sooooo jealous! I'll say a prayer for you and hope for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery! Way to go, girl! Pat
Dakotaoh
on 4/25/06 12:12 am - Ft. Mitchell, KY
If you haven't already taken a pic of your surgeon and he has a website with his pic on it, you can save it and use it. That's how I got the pic of my surgeon. Its a professional pic so it is much better then I could have done with my limited ability of taking pics! Cathy
Vickie E.
on 11/15/03 10:46 am - Sanford, NC
It is up to your surgeon of course. But I am on three weeks of full liquid diet, then three weeks of pureed diet, after that soft foods and gradually adding back regular food a little at a time. I stick to this because my surgeon told me I could disrupt my staple line if I tried to put full regular food in my new pouch too soon.
jean E.
on 11/16/03 1:11 am - supply, nc
HI Robin, I am post op 8 days...I have been making sure to get at least 16 oz of protien drink per day. I also can eat cottage cheese if I ma**** really good. Another source I use is baby food cereal, as I hate oatmeal or cream of wheat or grits. I add a little baby food fruit to it, to give it a little more flavor. I have had no trouble keeping it down. I use the 100% whey protien powder by GNC. I love it. Sometimes I add a little to my coffee, sometimes I heat it up and add some ff sf cool whip. No after taste with it. hope this helps, good luck with your surgery. You wont be sorry you did it.. jeannie from holden beach
Sharon S.
on 11/16/03 5:28 am - Goldsboro, NC
Hello. I am 3 1/2 months out from surgery. The first few weeks were very restricted. The first week: full liquids; the second: pureed. The third week soft, very soft foods. To be honest, I didn't want anything to speak of. Being creative for food required more energy than I had. Now, I have lost 59 lbs. I eat a basically regular diet. I pretty much avoid bread, it takes too much space. I eat little rice and virtually no pasta foer the same reason. I avoid sugar...and no dumping at all to date. I am still restricted from pork and beef until 6 months post op (altho I did eat a small amount of moist baked ham last night and tolerated it fairly well. I avoid anything fried/fatty. I do not avoid spicy. I figure with the small amount I eat I want all the flavor I can get. So now that I feel well, and I do feel well, I am experimenting!! I try for 3 meals a day and an occasional snack. For protein I use Dr. Adkins Vanilla. Usually I drink this for breakfast. I mix 1 scoop with 8 oz. skim milk and 4 ice cubes. This makes about 2 shakes for me (or one to share). My favorite snacks are Popsicles: Sugar Free Tropical Fruit. For the chocoholics there is a fugdesicle, but I burned out on them (I do not particularly like chocolate.)
Tracy P.
on 11/16/03 6:17 am - Cary, NC
hi robin, i had my rny on august 8 of this year. i went to pitt memorial and had dr. chapman. anyway, my post op diet consisted of ensure plus. 2oz. 3x a day. it got sickening after awhile. make sure you have sugar free popsicles on hand. they SAVED me. also sugar free jello and chicken broth. i was on this type of diet for 2 weeks. TRUST me , it seems like forever but you can do it!!!!!! good luck with your surgery and email me anytime.......... you will do fine. just WALK WALK WALK>>>>>>>it helps recover so much quicker.........
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scrapbooking in Houston/Galveston
AMYH-M · 2 replies · 831 views
What have you done lately?
Vickie J · 3 replies · 553 views
Hello
Miss Thang · 3 replies · 428 views
Hellooooooooooooooo Out There!
lv2beasahm · 3 replies · 405 views
Yahoo Scrapbook Group!
GigglyMarie · 1 replies · 858 views