G2GAWAY’s Posts

G2GAWAY
on 3/1/16 10:48 pm
Topic: RE: What's On Your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?

Zion is so beautiful. One of my favorite hikes ever was through the water/canyons.  Hope you got to hike while you were there.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

G2GAWAY
on 3/1/16 10:32 pm

My doctor never gave me a calorie goal.  Focus on protein and fluids. His advice was to eat when you are hungry and eat until satisfied. I have lost 120 pounds in 9 months, so it has worked well for me.  He also advised me to keep fats and sugar at 5 grams or less per service as much as possible.  That helps make a lifelong lifestyle change. It was shocking to see how much sugar was in some of the greek yogurts out there.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 3/1/16 10:24 pm

Thin mints all the way...the only GS choice for me...in the freezer.  I am a bit alarmed that you HATE them, people who don't like chocolate and mint make me nervous. LOL.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/29/16 10:48 pm
Topic: RE: Traveling

Just noticed your surgery date was earlier this month.  You should be fine depending on how your doctor's phases are.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/29/16 10:47 pm
Topic: RE: Traveling

I travel a lot (small trips, big trips)...hence my User name of G2GAWAY (got to go away).  When I looked at my calendar to schedule the surgery, there was never going to be a perfect time, so I just found the earliest possible surgery date and did it last May. I had a weekend trip to Santa Barbara scheduled the week before my surgery when I was on liquids, with one meal a day.  I packed all of my protein mix, shaker bottles, and ate the one meal I was allowed (Wendy's chili or a low cal TV dinner-there were a couple of other choices, but this is what I opted for).  3 weeks after my surgery, my daughter graduated from college, back out of town, celebration dinners, family, and a move to Northern Cal for her.  Again, I packed my supplies and stuck with the plan.  I have been out of the country (recently in Thailand for 2 weeks).  That was not my kind of food, but also made it work.  I also went to Loreto, Mexico to an all inclusive resort for a week in November and just had them make special things for me.  It was all buffets and I didn't want it, so they would prepare a nice piece of fish or steak for me.

Not sure where you are in the process, but here are my survival tips.  Carry beef jerky (or turkey jerky) with you at all times.  This is a life saver if you are hungry and need quick protein until you can get to something appropriate.  I went to a play with a friend a couple of weeks ago and we normally arrive with time to eat dinner; however, it was raining so we barely made it. Thank goodness I had jerky in my purse because otherwise I would have been tempted to eat the muffins or candy, which was all they sold.  I took jerky and protein bars to Thailand and used the bars occasionally as everything was pretty carb heavy there for me.  Find a store and buy your favorite protein drink or pack protein powder and a mixer bottle. I also relied on Oikos Greek Yogurt (Triple Zero) as it has 15 grams of protein and 7 grams of sugar (Triple Berry-not sure about the others) and P3 cheese and meat from the grocery store.  When you are eating out while travelling, don't look at the menu. Seriously, don't look at it.  I just ask the server for what I want.  I had to go to an italian restaurant for a party and knew that the menu would be bad news, but they always have shrimp or scallops, so I just told them I needed a side of scallops and that's what they brought me. If you go with someone that can share with you, just eat something of what they order.  I do that with my daughters often (hubby usually eats things that I don't like, but sometimes he will order steak and shrimp and I have a little of his).

I am 9 months out now, so obviously I can eat more than I could early on. Early on, I would order a salad, tostada, or something like that and just eat the protein off the top and maybe a little lettuce. I also order kids meals sometimes and only one time had someone challenge me on it, and even though I have a card from my doctor, I've never had to show it.  I did get the kids meal at the restaurant where it was initially challenged.

But really, just ask for what you need to be successful. People will work with you and you can be successful wherever you are. This is a lifestyle forever.

Oh yeah, and drink water...keep your fluids up.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/20/16 1:47 pm
Topic: RE: What's on Your (photo) Friday Menu, RNYers?

I'm hopeful this is a "during" picture, because I want to lose about 40 more pounds and assess things then, but I feel awesome where I am for now and am continuing to lose.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/20/16 1:46 pm

Thank you and tell your husband thanks too.  I think pictures are a good idea for those that don't feel they have lost much or can't see the change they have made. Although sizes of clothes change, alot of us may continue to wear larger clothes because we have them and they still fit (technically speaking), and I was used to buying things that did not fit snug (as if it disguised my weight).  Anyway, I know that when I saw a picture a few months back, I said, "Holy crap, I have collarbones."  New smaller sized clothes and pictures do put it into perspective.  

I've been skulking around the boards since I started, but don't post much because I usually read them at night on the West Coast. And in an effort to make this a lifestyle for me rather than I diet, I don't track and log everything because then I would become obsessive compulsive about it all and never be able to sustain it. Lesson learned from all past attempts at losing weight.  

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/19/16 2:50 pm

Attempting photos for the first time.  

One of my daughters posted a picture from Valentine's Day 2014 and my other daughter took some pictures of my husband and I this Valentine's Day (as she was the third wheel to our date because she had the night off).  Although I only had my surgery in May 2015, and I am not sure if the 2014 photo was my heaviest or I had by some small miracle lost a few pounds, it was nice to see how far I have come.

Exciting plans for the weekend are a trip to the Long Beach Aquarium for my husband's birthday.  His choice.  However, they are shutting down the freeway we would normally take for 55 hours (affectionately known as Coronageddon) for the weekend, so we are hopeful that alternative routes will not be a challenge. But, it is his day and he doesn't usually get to have a vote...so we are throwing him a bone this weekend. Haha.  

Have a great weekend.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/18/16 6:24 pm
Topic: RE: No full feeling

Ditto. I was going to post the same thing. Eat until satisfied...NOT full.  That is exactly what my doctor told me as well.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/16/16 8:24 pm
Topic: RE: 100 lbs GONE, GONE, GONE!

You look amazing.  I love your haircut/color!

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/16/16 12:40 pm

I just left my office for lunch and it is 93 degrees outside in So Cal. That is all.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/9/16 10:16 pm

I'm a West Coaster, so I read this thread sometimes during my lunch on my phone (if I am by myself), and catch up late at night.  

Good luck with the procedure. I hope if provides the relief you are seeking.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/9/16 10:04 pm
Topic: RE: One-Year Surgiversary Today!!!!

Congratulations!  That is so awesome.  I have watched your posts along the way.  My surgery date was a few months later, but our starting weight is about the same and I am hoping to lose about what you lost, so I have been excited to see your pics. I am 1-2 inches shorter though. I have lost 120 so far and can't believe it.  On a side note, my name is Cory and I'm in Southern California too.

You look amazing.  Do you have any tips for those last 30 pounds? It seems to have slowed a bit, but I am working with a personal trainer at least 2 days a week, trying to get him to add a third day for me sometimes and focusing on protein.  Interested in any of your words of wisdom.

Thanks.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/8/16 10:06 pm
Topic: RE: Can you eat fruit or does it cause dumping?

Early on, I also used unflavored Isopure Protein Powder mixed with anything I was eating (greek yogurt-there are some with no artificial sweeteners I think).  You can look on Amazon.  It says that there are no artificial sweeteners.

• Unflavored whey protein isolate that contains 26 grams per serving, of pure Whey Protein Isolate
  • All impurities typically found in most whey proteins have been removed
  • Can be added directly to hot/cold foods or beverages and the tasteless formula blends in perfectly
  • No fat, carbohydrate, sugars or lactose, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/5/16 8:03 pm
Topic: RE: Can you eat fruit or does it cause dumping?

I have not had any dumping issues with fruit, but started slowly.  Bananas were on the initial soft foods diet, and I could only eat about a quarter of a banana at a time, but was advised to stop them and focus on protein first once I moved to denser foods.  Fruits can come later, you should focus on protein, then vegetables, then fruit.  For protein, I drank (and still do) Premier Protein shakes.  They are premixed and have very low sugar. Costco sells them and will deliver them for free right to your front door.  They have only 1 gram of sugar. Not sure if they contain the sugar substitutes, I imagine you can find out online.  Good luck.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/5/16 7:53 pm

There is a restaurant in our area called the Salted Pig...all things bacon. Bacon wrapped dates, bacon ice cream, you name it...bacon. I'm pretty sure they would put bacon with the ham.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/5/16 7:47 pm

Brad Paisley puts on an amazing show. Hope you had an awesome time!

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/4/16 11:42 pm
Topic: RE: Preventing Hair Loss

I was fortunate and have not lost a noticeable amount of hair.  I don't know if this helped prevent hair loss, but I figured it couldn't hurt....I used Nioxin shampoo (it is a 3 part system) and took Hair, Skin, and Nails.  I am 8-1/2 months out, so I am hoping I made it through the danger period. I think eating sufficient protein and taking your vitamins is also key.  Hope you have good results.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/2/16 10:08 pm

I just survived 2 weeks without mine. It was actually kind of liberating, but I do like weighing every day. We were very active the whole time and I ate like I should, so had a loss when I returned.  Good luck. 

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/2/16 10:00 pm

I find that when I am having a sensitive pouch time, that grilled shrimp or scallops work best for me. 

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/2/16 9:54 pm

I miss Advil/ibuprofen so much. Tylenol just doesn't do it for me either.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 2/2/16 9:51 pm
G2GAWAY
on 1/28/16 9:52 pm
Topic: RE: When can I go back to work

I took one week off, worked from home the second week, and left an hour early each day during week 3.  You will be very tired, but you can rest and nap. I came home and napped every night for a few weeks.  It wasn't until about the middle of week 6 that I started getting my energy back.  Just do what you can when you feel like it and rest when you need to.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 1/28/16 11:16 am
Topic: RE: Still only 2 oz protein

I am 8 months out and sometimes that is all I eat at one time. If I go out to eat, I typically split with someone because I only need a few bites of the protein and I'm done. Some days I can eat more, some days less. Yesterday I had a salad and scallops. That was a big day. Don't stress about not getting vegetables in, you will get there eventually. I eat tostadas or cobb tyoe salads often because I can eat the protein and some of the vegies. I miss fruit, but can't usually fit that in. Just eat what is comfortable. Don't overdo it. My doctor's advice was to eat when you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied. ..not full. It has worked great for me. Good luck on your journey.

Cory

G2GAWAY
on 1/27/16 10:06 pm
Topic: RE: What do you buy at Costco?

Babybel light cheeses (blue ones)

Premier Protein shakes (they also will ship and deliver for free)

Detour simple protein bars

Fish fillets (individually wrapped) - love the mahi mahi

Filet mignon (they have the best meat)

Of course, I buy all of the essential supplies like toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, kleenex, kitty litter, cat food (try to wait until they have coupons on them).

I have given up buying bulk foods because we don't eat enough now that the kids are grown up.

Cory

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 319 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 316 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 270 views