What's on your Sunday menu?

Melody P.
on 10/29/23 12:16 am - Amarillo, TX

Mornin y'all! I am posting early as we might not have power later this morning. We're at the beginning of an ice storm. Our trees for the most part are still heavy with leaves. Our high of 31 was reached at midnight. Hoping it doesn't get to bad out there.

I didn't get to chainmaille yesterday but it was a decent day nevertheless. We got into the groove of cleaning and washing clothes and towels. Lots accomplished so that feels good in its own way. Chainmaille will be todays objective as I need to make some earrings! I even have a battery operated light if necessary

We're going to make potato soup today. Just a very small batch to use up what's left of the potatoes. For dinner I may make a garlic and chickpea soup! It's also a small batch recipe that makes 3 servings officially.

Was sad to hear Matthew Perry passed away :o(

QOTD: What is the dumbest way you've been hurt?

mines pretty interesting. When I was around 20 I dropped a frozen brisket on my left foot and broke it. Another one is I was using a steak knife to open an otter pop and cut my finger badly. I ended up in the hospital with blood poisoning from that one. I must of been around 8 or so...maybe 7.

B: oatmeal and coffee x2

L: potato soup

D: chickpea soup

Mel

White Dove
on 10/29/23 3:20 am - Warren, OH

I hope the storm does not put your power out. Stay inside and out of that storm. It is Sunday, so you can give yourself a day off from chainmaile. Sometimes we need to just relax and do nothing.

I have done some dumb things and jumping out of plane at 67 years old is probably my top ways I got hurt. I was at Myrtle Beach and did a tamdem jump. The guy I jumped with told me how he had been a paratrooper at Fort Bragg and been jumping in the area for 20 years. I felt very safe with him.

When we were in the amazing dreamlike portion of floating above the earth I remember asking him about some landmark. He replied that he did not know and had never been to the area before. My first thought was that he had not been jumping here for 20 years. He got caught in a wind gust and landed us fall from the landing area and I ended up on my back and in extreme pain.

I managed to walk off the field but the pain was excruciating. I spent the rest of the vacation in a wheelchair. When I got home I saw an orthopedic surgeon. He was able to fix the disks on my back that had spread apart. He put a cement in there to keep them open. He told me is I continued to jump out of airplanes, I would be seeing him often. He is nice guy but I have stopped jumping.

The night after the jump my nieces and nephews were at a bar where some of the tamdem jumpers were drinking. The said that it was the guys first day and he was immediately fired. When you jump you sign papers that you will not sue. My lawyer wanted to try anyway because of the cir****tances. I did not because I was back in my feet and out of pain but probably he was right.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 10/29/23 6:57 am
RNY on 06/03/15

UGH! That is so awful. I'm sorry that happened to you. Not that I would ever jump out of a plane anyway, but now I would definitely not because of my osteoporosis. I'm afraid I'd hit the ground hard and break something!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 10/29/23 7:58 am - Warren, OH

I got away with doing things like that for years and just never got hurt. I believe we all have different desires and one of mine was to be in the sky. Now that arthritis has shown up I am much more careful. Now I have some tamer things that I am planning like a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and Vegas. Still in the air but much safer.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/29/23 9:43 am
WLS on 07/15/22

I'm glad you've continued to make space for the things you want to do in life.

The inability to do something is what got me in my first helicopter some years back. It was over Canada and the US to see Glacier National Park. It was a beautiful perspective and shocking to see how rapidly we're losing the glaciers. Since I was traveling alone even back then, they let me sit next to the pilot in the front with the wraparound views, including the floors. They told me not to touch anything.

I had been dieting like crazy before the trip and knew that I weighed around 240. They made you get on a scale at the counter when you checked in if it looked like you might be over the limit of 250. I'm the only one who had to weigh in. It was embarrassing. You got charged for extra fuel if you were over.

Anyway. It was still worth it, and part of why I also took a helicopter over the Barrier Reef in Australia in 2017. That time the family I was with were so excited and of course, everyone wanted window seats, so I sat in the middle. Even with some of the scary safety stories and the occasional crash that makes the news...would still do it again.

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

White Dove
on 10/29/23 11:24 am - Warren, OH

Those are amazing experiences and good to add to my list.

Every time there is a plane crash people become afraid to fly. MIllions of planes take off and land safely every day. The chances of being in a crash is too small for me to give up flying. I can imagine how awful it was for you to have to be weighed. You are so tiny now.

The other reason Vegas is one of my next trips is because I want to eat at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant there.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/29/23 4:19 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

I just googled and learned how many restaurants that man is involved with. Geez. Looks like you can't turn a corner in London without walking past one of his places. And I saw a few of those Hell's Kitchen shows. He's got a line of frozen meals for sale at Walmart these days, too. He's diversified.

And I'm with you...travel by air is generally safe..and safer than driving. Doesn't make me less scared of heights, takeoff, or landing. But I know it's safe!

Hope Vegas is soon in your itinerary. It's so hot there!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

catwoman7
on 10/29/23 7:04 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Morning Weekenders!

This morning I will be baking bread. It's my mother's birthday today, so this afternoon we'll be going over to her apt. I picked up a small cake at a bakery yesterday (since they're closed today). She just wants pizza for dinner (yay! Easy peasy!), so I'll pick one up when we're en route to her place. Otherwise, I need to watch a film for one of my film discussion groups that meets tomorrow morning - and finish up watching "Eyes on the Prize" for my civil rights class, since I'll be back in class starting Tuesday (he showed the series in class since he wanted to be sure the students actually watched it (and took attendance to be doubly sure!) - but I've just been watching it online. Since I'm an auditor, it doesn't really matter if I actually attend class or not since I'm not being graded. So why go to campus when I can watch the same thing at home?)

QOTD: I can't think of anything, and I've never been much of a risk-taker - so not sure I've ever done anything that had the potential to cause much in the way of injury.

I'll try to eat light-ish again most of the day today since we'll be eating pizza and cake for dinner

coffee with half & half

plain skyr with fruit

hummus sandwich with tomato and cucumber slices

pizza and cake

have a great day, all!

catwoman7
on 10/29/23 7:07 am
RNY on 06/03/15

P.S. re: yesterday's cookbook group - the author of the book we were discussing and cooking from was at the meeting, so I was a little worried since I'd modified the pumpkin cheesecake recipe that I'd made by making a gingersnap crust rather than a graham cracker one, but it was a HUGE hit! Everyone wondered how I made it (same as a graham cracker one - just used gingernsnaps instead). The author loved it, too, and said she'd be doing it that way from now on! Whew!!!

White Dove
on 10/29/23 8:01 am - Warren, OH

Gingersnap sounds so much better than graham cracker. i can see you making this into a TicToc and going viral. You could change the entire graham cracker world to gingersnap.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 380 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 377 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 217 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views