What's on your Monday Menu?

Teenie
on 9/18/23 10:25 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Daughtry is good. He was great on the Mask Singer. I bet you really enjoy him.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

White Dove
on 9/19/23 10:21 am - Warren, OH

When I would increase my walking, I used to have a goal of going past one more tree or one more house every day to just increase a bit at a time. I used to take very long walks and worry if I would make it back. This was long before cellphones, so I could not call anyone for help if I went too far from home. I always found my way back :)

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GracielaSusana
on 9/18/23 7:11 pm - Ft Myers, FL
RNY on 06/07/21

QOTD: I weigh nearly every day. I have a scream weight, so once hit, it is "Man all battle stations". I roughly tally calories in my head but don't really log food other than what I post here. My weight can go too low sometimes but am I very annoyed when others are critical about being too thin. My mobility and autoimmune issues make consistent Excercise something that doesn't happen so that is not a method to control weight gain. I am 27 months out from surgery and love all the advice from veterans. When does the honeymoon phase end?

Thanks to all that posted about the conference, hoping to hear more about what was learned and seeing more photos!

Menu. Peach, pear, orange and yougurt. Salad and crack cole slaw. Protein shake. And a large Apple fritter from Publix.

Grace. RNY 06/21 HW 275. SW 265 GW 130 CW 120

White Dove
on 9/18/23 10:14 pm - Warren, OH

Here is how my surgeon explained the honeymoon to us. The lining of the intestines has little fingerlike appendages called villi. The villi grab food as it passes through the intestines and hold it onto the wall of the intestine so that the calories can be absorbed.

RNY destroys a lot of those villi. So food just passes through. The calories do not get absorbed by the system and so they do not cause weight gain. But the body is smart and the body knows it is getting food but still getting starved. So it fixes the issue by growing new and stronger villi.

That process takes between eighteen months and three years. it is actually the body's way of healing itself. Once those new and strong villi are in place, food is absorbed again and weight gain is pretty much a given. The only way to control weight after that happens is by eating less than you burn.

GracielaSusana
on 9/19/23 6:00 am - Ft Myers, FL
RNY on 06/07/21

Thanks! That is a great explanation. I had not heard it was the villi that was responsible. I realize I will have to watch calories the rest of my life.

White Dove
on 9/19/23 6:25 am - Warren, OH

The DS surgery has various adaptations and can give malabsorption of fat for life. But even in people who do not absorb fat, they end up absorbing carbs and have weight regain. I have seen many people in the first two years after surgery who look too thin. But it is rare to find someone more than three years out who has not had some regain. Twenty pounds used to be considered what was expected.

Dr. Now was talking about regain after surgery and what I understood him to say what that at five years is not that uncommon for as person to have regained 75% of their lost weight. I am hoping to find more on that and see if I did understand correctly.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 395 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views