Gastric Bypass Revision

macktrac
on 9/2/23 12:58 pm - Baltimore, MD

Hello everyone! I am wondering if anyone has had revision surgery? I am a candidate and wanted to gain some insight. Thank you for your time.

Amy Liz
on 9/3/23 8:53 am, edited 9/3/23 1:55 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Yes, I did - 5 months ago I had revision from RNY to Distal bypass. My honest take - I remember feeling discouraged by hearing/reading and that revision wasn't successful, temporary at best and that I would lose 20 pounds tops - I'd be different and not take for granted this second chance. For me, revision is not a repeat of the first surgery, it's very different. You're already used to eating small portions and especially eating around your surgery/stomach. You've mastered slider food quantity eating and all the tricks without fear. For me, there was no drastic change like the first surgery. My ability to eat didn't change much after I was healed. My loss was from eating less on the pre surgery diet and post op diet, period. I'm fully healed, back to real food and have been stuck for months. I lost 32 pounds with a lot of hard work (15 pounds prior, 17 pounds post op), but it's just as hard to do as it was prior to revision. Although the results are not what I had hoped so far, it has been an awakening and changed my mindset more than anything. I've accepted that I'll have to work my ass off everyday for the rest of my life to maintain this weight, never mind lose more. Would I do it over again? Today? 100% Yes. But there have been days when I would have said no. I've learned so much and I still have hope. I wish I could tell you it was easier, but it's not. I have heard that revising to DS is the way to go for loss and maintenance success. My surgeon advised against DS due to complications, severe malabsorption (even though I am religious with my vitamins) and probable lifelong bathroom issues did not appeal to me.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide. Losing weight is hard no matter how you do it, SO hard. It's really all in your mindset and what you choose to do. There is no magic answer, not even surgery. In the end, both of my surgeries have helped me, but I will always struggle and be a work in progress for life.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 164 GW 155

macktrac
on 9/3/23 2:56 pm - Baltimore, MD

For life is the best way to put it. You are correct. Thank you for the response and that is the realization that I am coming to as I prepare for revision. I've developed horrible acid reflux and a hernia. More than anything I have developed a desire to take better care of myself AGAIN. It is a life work. I wi**** wasn't but it is what it is. Best wishes to you on this journey as well!

Amy Liz
on 9/4/23 7:08 am
RNY on 11/21/16

If only to get those 2 things fixed, it would be totally worth it. It may just light the fire you need to get you to your goals. Never give up!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 164 GW 155

Grim_Traveller
on 9/3/23 8:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What's the reason for looking into revision surgery?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

macktrac
on 9/3/23 7:23 pm - Baltimore, MD

I've developed horrible acid reflux and a hernia that needs to be repaired. The weight gain is a by product that is a result of poor choices and a lack of exercise.

White Dove
on 9/3/23 9:59 am, edited 9/3/23 3:00 am - Warren, OH

When you got your first weight loss surgery you had a big stomach. Think of a two-liter soda bottle and how food much it takes to fill it up. That approximately 30 ounce stomach was reduced down to the capacity of the bottle cap on the soda bottle.

We just do not have the capacity to eat very much and we lose weight like magic. But our bodies are very smart and know that they are being starved. We find ways to eat again and to regain the lost weight.

If you get a revision and they tighten things up it might be going from a six ounce stomach to a four ounce stomach and it is not going to make any noticeable difference in we can eat. We already know how to eat and gain with a tiny stomach.

Some revisions involve doing things to the bowels so less of our food is absorbed. That can help with long term loss and maintenance.

My experience is that my weight depends on how many calories I consume on a daily basis. I went back to Weigh****chers in my third year after surgery when I regained from 128 to 142. It has been a struggle ever since and that was in 2010.

At one point I was eating just like a normal person and gained back up to 165. It took years of calorie counting and retraining my body to get that weight back off. I now have most of my original restriction and fill up after a few bites of food. I accept the fact that I am on a diet for the rest of my life. If I ever go back to eating big meals the weight will come back.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

macktrac
on 9/3/23 2:51 pm - Baltimore, MD

Thank you very much! I have heard that losing is not as easy the second time around. I guess it really would not be since our bodies are very smart. I am learning so much about myself and the habits that I've picked up again. I, too, will be paying closer attention to caloric intake FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. It will also be a priority to remain in a supportive environment with others who FULLY understand the challenge of staying on the losing side. Thanks again!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s your plans for Saturday?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 83 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views