What's on your Saturday menu?

Melody P.
on 9/2/23 4:15 am - Amarillo, TX

Good mornin everyone! Hope your three day weekend is off to a good start.

Not much going on today. We'll probably run and get some avocados that are on sale this weekend. We'll also probably not stay around the house. So who knows what else we'll do.

my pain levels are enormously dragging me down. I have to wait until the 12th or after to see if I can get a referral for a different neurosurgeon or pain clinic. I did sleep an hour and a half more than usual AND had a wild Harry Potter themed dream. I swear...I do em weird hence the meme.

QOTD: What is your favorite cuisine and dish from that cuisine?

Mines a tie. I love Thai food and Mexican food. If I had to pick one it'd be Mexican. Just because it's so versatile and you can make so much from the different areas of Mexico. We found a little market that has some Colorado chili sauce to use with pork. We didn't get it yet but I am betting in a few weeks we will. They even had a mild for my sissy mouth lol. I can't wait! I also want to try sarandeadlo but it's hard to get fresh fish here..Someday I will try it in Mexico itself!

B: oatmeal

L: fajitas

D: ???

Mel

Melody P.
on 9/2/23 4:25 am - Amarillo, TX

Oh I forgot my favorite dish...spinach tamales!

Mel

Partlypollyanna
on 9/2/23 5:14 am
RNY on 02/14/18

QOTD - Pizza, because really it can be its own cuisine, and extra cheese, good italian sausage and pepperoni. If you really want a cuisine, I would pick "Mediterranean" because I could eat pita and the various dips for every meal and not get bored.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 9/2/23 5:45 am - Warren, OH

Pizza was not something you could buy in Ohio in the 1950's. There were very few places that sold it and those places were bars. There were no places like Domino's back then and no pizza in supermarkets. I was in my teens when I read about pizza and asked my mom to buy it.

She had grown up in New York and knew about pizza but did not consider it a food that Irish people ate. We kids learned about pizza and started ordering it from a nearby bar. My mother thought that was a terrible waste of money and started making pizzas. She made them on sheet pans with homemade dough and homemade spaghetti sauce from tomatoes grown in the garden and canned. We had delicious pizza several times a week.

It was a very cheap way to feed a house full of teenagers. Pizza is like almost 100% profit. They take a few cents worth of flour and charge $20 for it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Partlypollyanna
on 9/2/23 6:46 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Interesting! I had read that pizza really spread (and morphed) in the US after WWII because while it had been around for a long time, mostly on the east coast, the returning soldiers wanted it everywhere, so that makes complete sense. It took longer for things to spread across regions back then.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 9/2/23 7:38 am - Warren, OH

It did take a lot longer then. People tended to stay with what they knew and did not try anything different.

catwoman7
on 9/2/23 9:24 am
RNY on 06/03/15

my mom had it occasionally as a kid in Cleveland, but they had to go to Little Italy to get it. So I think it was more available in urban areas (and maybe mostly in Italian neighborhoods in urban areas??)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 9/2/23 11:04 am - Warren, OH

I found out later that Italians had it all the time. We just lived in a neighborhood that did not have any Italian families.

catwoman7
on 9/2/23 12:23 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

yes - I think before the 1960s it was hard to find outside of areas that had Italian neighborhoods.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Amy Liz
on 9/2/23 7:36 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Good morning ~ I've had a lovely mini break from work rolling into this weekend so far. Yesterday I spend the day at my sisters house in the swim spa with jalapeño margaritas and delish high protein, low carb Mexican spread. It was fab! She also gave me tons of fresh basil, tomatoes and peppers from her garden to take home. Today is the start of the college football season and even though I prefer NFL games, the fans and school spirit are the absolute best and steal the show! It's so fun to watch. Today we are taking the dogs to the park for a walk then I need to hit the 'books' and get some work done. House stuff, laundry and BBQ burgers later for a chill day at home.

QOTD - Mexican cuisine. My favorite dish would be fried tacos, but anything really (except rice - not a fan) don't make me choose!

B- coffee, scrambled eggs w/cottage cheese

l - salad with garden tomatoes and chicken, lite dressing

d - big mac in a bowl - I'm addicted

s - cauliflower, peppers, yogurt dip, beef jerky

807cals/89g protein

Have a great day!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 164 GW 155

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?