What's on your (PHOTO) Friday Menu?

Queen JB
on 8/11/23 2:35 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Hello and Happy Happy Happy Friday! This was a long week, wasn't it?

Grim worked his BUTT off yesterday. I'll let him explain what madness he was doing, but it involved a tool rental and we have to return it by 7am, so I'm tagging along and we're going to breakfast again :) Other than that, just some more of the usual busy work, then a friend is coming over this evening and we'll do some grilling and watch a movie. I'm teaching a cookie class on Sunday, but the rest of the weekend should be nice and quiet.

Pics are of my beautiful lobster dinner in this beautiful stone building at ShakerCon!

QOTD: What kind of food did you grow up eating? My mom was all about the old version of the food pyramid. We had a plate with meat, veggies, and 2 starches every night, followed by dessert. She was also queen of the casserole and could throw a million things into one dish and make it taste good. That's a skill I didn't inherit at all.

Accountability: I had a small pouch day so I went with it. I had an egg for breakfast and one fish taco at 4pm.

Today:

B: Protein coffee & diner breakfast (probably an omelette?)

L: Fish Taco!

D: Cheeseburger - no bun

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Melody P.
on 8/11/23 2:54 am - Amarillo, TX

Good mornin everyone! Enjoy y'all's breakfast out!

I haven't got a clue as to what we're going to do today. I figure thrift store but who knows what else. Yesterday was a mix of crap and good. I went for a half mile walk. Unfortunately it's caused severe pain...especially in my right hip and leg. What a bummer. I've decided to look out for one of those bike or elliptical things that go in front of a chair. I'll be looking at the thrift stores for one. I can't afford a new one until September but would prefer a used one anyway. I'd love to have this one that I've seen on tv but I have no clue how much it is.

I've also decided that since I have no appointments at the pain clinic and no requirement to go back that I'm going to try a full spectrum CBD product. I was going to have to wait till September too but a lovely friend I've made through Chainmaille sent me the money for it and some tshirts. I was shocked but my heart I think healed a tiny bit from it. I never expect people to be kind to me, not that I expect meanness either but I always feel undeserving of kindness.

The enchiladas were AMAZING! The sauce had a lot of fire roasted green chilies and some sour cream...oh and beef broth. We used a sirloin steak that was cut think and cooked in the crock pot. So so good folks, especially considering we didn't use a recipe for any of it, I also made gazpacho the other day, it's yummy but the tomato is bothering my tongue. Oh well lol I'll be eating on it today too...the tongue will have to suffer.

QOTD: at around 10 I started doing most of the cooking in our house. I swear I was born at the age of 40. No one made me I just did it to help out my mom. I cooked a lot of soup, stir fry, chicken dishes and fish. My mom made a lot of the same. My grandparents also cooked a lot for us on the weekend...or my mom would cook for all of us. Spaghetti, soup, breakfast burritos, chili mac(soooo good) and fried squashes. It was really good food...maybe not the healthiest. Though.

B: JUST egg bowl coffee and a dirty chai

L: enchiladas

D: gazpacho

my pics are some from the lake, a bracelet and Priscilla, my late teen years dog. She was a character.

Mel

Partlypollyanna
on 8/11/23 3:25 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Your macro photos are always so stunning. I am trying but I just don't have the skill/eye yet.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Melody P.
on 8/11/23 5:25 am - Amarillo, TX

I started off with a 50mm cheap(er) macro lens. I won best of show the area's fair for amateur photography and that afforded me the opportunity to get a great lens. It has an anti shake capability that saves me sometimes when my tremors are bad. I adore macro photography. I love little details and such. It took me literal years to learn it. I didn't have any classes to learn how to shoot in manual and macro and even now there are a lot of bad photos mixed in with the good!

thank you! :o)

Mel

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 8/11/23 4:47 am
WLS on 07/15/22

I'm sorry the walk hurt you. It can be hit and miss to know what will come back to get you. I hope the CBD works.

So interesting when I hear about kids cooking. Other than my grandmother on my father's side teaching me how to make her baking powder biscuits, I don't remember my mother making any attempt to teach us to cook. I took an interest at around age 10 and attempted a few recipes back when I thought not following them exactly meant disaster. There was a traumatic experience with one dish and I didn't cook again for years.

Love your photos. I forget what camera you have but it gives you good colors. Thanks for sharing your rainbow bridge doggo.

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Melody P.
on 8/11/23 5:31 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks!

i shot these with a canon 60d. It's a little bit of an older camera but I still haven't gotten the knack of the Nikon I found at the thrift store. I don't have a macro lens for it either and I prefer macro photography by far. I also shoot in raw so I can edit it to my liking. I love editing lol

i wouldn't necessarily say I was taught to cook a whole lot. I mainly observed and/or messed stuff up learning. I always wanted to be helpful. No one else in my family bakes but I love it and I've always been good at it, I think I just have the knack of it.

Mel

lmfontana4
on 8/11/23 7:02 am
RNY on 03/24/21

I don't remember my mom teaching me to cook either. I use recipes. I say almost anyone can be a good cook if they follow recipes. Once you have a grasp on spices you can shake things up a bit with deviations from the recipe.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 8/11/23 8:08 am
WLS on 07/15/22

I signed up for home economics to start to learn. I also remember screwing up an eclair recipe by adding egg to something before it cooled enough. Make mistakes and learn! I used to be too scared of making mistakes in cooking. Now I'm just afraid of breaking my house. Baby steps, I guess!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Emiepie
on 8/11/23 5:46 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I am glad you have people in your circle that show you the kindness you deserve.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Au_Contraire
on 8/11/23 10:11 am

You are, emphatically, always deserving of kindness.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 395 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 218 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics