What's on your Saturday menu, RNYers

Partlypollyanna
on 12/10/22 4:21 am
RNY on 02/14/18

That is an accurate depiction of every conversation with my trainer! It's why I love her, she makes me laugh through the work.

Good morning and happy Saturday! Anyone have anything exciting planned for the day? I have to hit the liquor store for a couple gifts, the UPS store to ship, get in a lengthy rowing workout and then I have a holiday party tonight. I could feel myself wavering about the party yesterday so I made a point of telling someone that I couldn't wait to see them there...now I'm committed whether I want to be or not!

QOTD - Who is the person (non-family) that you have known the longes that you are still in touch with? I've known my friend April since she was born and I was a year and a half; we somehow managed to stay in touch through chaotic childhoods, cross country moves back in the day of long distance charges, and 40+ years of change. It's so much easier now with social media, cell phones and texts!

Menu today will be

coffee plus half and half X2, maybe a 3rd one in the after since holiday parties insist on being in the evening

pb English muffin

gouda and deli ham

appetizers at the party - this catering company makes the best peppadews stuffed with seasoned goat cheese so I hope they will have those.

Have a fantastic Saturday everyone!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 12/10/22 5:33 am, edited 12/9/22 10:43 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Good morning!

While I appreciate the meme, I do remember having to call out an instructor once whose motto ran along the "No pain, no gain " methods. I'm on board to a point but there are things trainers have to learn to modify for clients. Mine never did and that stuck in my mind. Though the 9 Round folks were good about showing variations of things I couldn't do.

Yesterday I had a bit of a time planning failure for food. Probably my biggest challenge these days is getting the times to eat. By which I mean, I don't always have the time. :) it's either cramming something down in the few minutes between meetings or waiting until the squishy "later" that might not come. I know we're supposed to eat slowly and with tiny bites but...time, sometimes.

Today, I've been tracking on MFP for 200 days, which is a day or two after my initial consult once I got my head screwed back on. Today, I've also officially lost 100 pounds since my referral in April. Pretty happy with the progress happening.

Nothing outstanding on the fun side this weekend unless you count time at the dealership. I put a lot of miles on my car these days and it's due for service. I'll go back into town afterwards to pick up my Omeprazole since it's ready. Also, rain off and on all day, so there's that. So standard weekend, here.

QOTD- My friend Ryan. Met in after school fencing class when I was a sophomore in HS and he was a senior. We lost touch for a few years due to some regularly scheduled drama in our friend group and reconnected randomly one day. I drove to Florida for his wedding a couple of years ago and we touch base occasionally. Good friend.

Accountability- Excellent on foods, just had to swap out when I ended up in Whole Foods after not having eaten for 5 hours, somehow. They had no hot or cold protein and the deli was closed for a meeting. I bought a very overpriced chomp stick and a small bag of jerky to prevent something stupid from happening. The jerky was nasty, so o choked down two pieces for protein and will share the rest. Reminder...keep grab and go foods in the car...

Exercise- Recumbent bike!

Menu

Think I'll try a chaffle today!

Rest of the cabbage rolls

Slice of crustless quiche

A two good yogurt

If protein doesn't add up, might do a burger patty with cheese.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

catwoman7
on 12/10/22 5:35 am
RNY on 06/03/15

100 lbs since April - you are doing great, my friend!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 12/10/22 10:28 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Thanks! It's moving, for sure. The stops and starts are fun but...steady progress. :)

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Partlypollyanna
on 12/10/22 5:51 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I have had instructors like that but never a second time. I establish a relationship with my trainers so that they know I will 1) tell them if something it not up to par; 2) give everything a try; 3) work with modifications and then if I tell them "nope, not today" they know it's not me not wanting to do the work but that it's not work that I can do today.

I think finding a trainer that works for your style is as important as finding a therapist that works for your style. My best and longest trainers have been the ones that acknowledge it's hard and help me to be successful while listening to me whining about it, lol. I look for the same thing in online classes as well, except then I'm the only one listening to the whining, lol.

My first question to a new trainer is always "are you a yeller" and if the answer is yes, I move on. The fastest way to NOT get me to do something is to yell.

Fencing is on my list of sports to try someday. I don't think I would be very good at it but I definitely want to try it.

You're getting far enough out from surgery that you can probably start focusing on figuring out what works for you vs what you "should" be doing. For example, that eat slowly and take small bites? I find that less useful for me than the rule "don't eat in front of a screen (windshield, laptop, tv, etc)"...but with my meeting schedule, I may have to eat something fast. I also know that I am not as sensitive to that stuck feeling. If you don't adapt to what works for you, you're not really building the lifestyle change YOU can sustain. I stuck exactly to the programs plan until I healed, stuck to my version of what worked for me until I hit goal (30 carbs or lower/day; no alcohol, no treats), and then I've adapted that again as I've figured out what builds my long term success. It's always going to be a work in progress and I encounter things that don't work or stop working and learn new ideas from others.

Congratulations on the 100! It's a great milestone!

Jen

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 12/10/22 10:35 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Thanks Jen. That's great advice on trainers! Never really thought about shopping around for one and just figured most were the yelling type. Maybe someday! Glad you've found ones who work for you and with you...and listen to you. :)

And yes, I think you're right. I'm still trying to abide by what they teach but it's not personalized at all. I've had to do my fair share of quick eating between meetings since the alternative is not eating, and that's worse. Definitely still working through the pieces that are sustainable and am still doing a lot of experimenting with foods. I do get the feeling that lowish carb will be in my future for some time to come, though I look forward to having oatmeal and whole grains back.

Appreciate you sharing your examples! Each journey is unique but there's a lot of overlap that can help out as guide rails as we go. Especially since, as you said, some things stop working over time!

And thanks. :) never thought I'd be taking so many pictures of my scale. Heh.

catwoman7
on 12/10/22 5:34 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin' Weekenders!

I'm feeling "thin" this morning. I seem to be down about 3 lbs (from when I started my lower-calorie eating three weeks ago) - it's not much weight-wise, but oddly, I'm feeling much lighter (that's a guesstimate on the weight because with such agonizingly slow weight loss, it's hard to tell the true loss from the daily fluctuations). I'm glad I'm going into this day feeling that way, because hopefully it'll help me control myself later. I have two parties today - an open house this afternoon and a regular holiday party this evening. Both will have food. Not sure what will be at the open house (this is a new party for me), but the one tonight will be a challenge. We go to this party every year (except for the last two - because of COVID). The couple are both retired physicians, and the woman is a gourmet cook who probably spends a week cooking up a storm for this thing - and the food is always exquisite. Luckily, 90% of the guests are physicians, and I noticed she's added my endocrinologist and my veterinarian this year as Facebook friends, so they might be there. My veterinarian isn't going to really care what I eat - but she knew me when I weighed over 300 lbs, so I wouldn't be shocked if she noticed. If I saw my endocrinologist there, I'd be really careful about what I ate - although she probably wouldn't care, either. But I think seeing them there would make me think twice before stuffing my face - so maybe this will be a good thing. I hope. As in I hope I don't end up stuffing my face regardless (OK - on an intellectual level, I know no one is going to care because most attendees will be stuffing their faces as well, but leave it to me to dwell on these things...BUT, if these thoughts keep me from losing control around the food, maybe that's not a bad thing!). I'll try to plan for these by arranging my at-home eating (both the what and when) so I'm less likely to blow it at these parties. UGH - I don't know why I'm making these such an ordeal - although with all these "eating events" the next couple of weeks, it's just as well. This time of year can be a real minefield.

other than that, nothing going on today. Both of us are COVID-free, so at least that is over. My niece is still pretty sick, though.

QOTD: I still keep up with the woman who lived next door to us when we both three years old, but it's mostly just a Christmas card relationship. I've reconnected with a few people from high school, though - we're Facebook friends and do interact (on FB) pretty frequently.

B: plain skyr with cranberry/cherry compote. Coffee with half & half.

MS: protein shake. I'm going to have this late (maybe between 11:00 and noon) in hopes it might get me through the open house this afternoon. I may have a couple of Wasa crackers with it - for the fiber. I'll eat things at the open house - but I don't want to blow it. I'm counting whatever I eat there as much lunch.

AS: something with fat or fiber before I go to tonight's party. Maybe one of the Keto products I have lying around here. Or some Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of tahini stirred in...

D: at the party. No idea.

ex: yea I'd better do something. Probably a walking or cardio dance video. There's a lot of snow out there...

have a great Saturday, everyone!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 12/10/22 5:56 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Make sure you relax and have fun in the middle of all the food over analyzing. That's what will make the stress of attending worth it:-)

Jen

Greateight
on 12/10/22 6:38 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Trish, you are doing great, I'm proud of you.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 12/10/22 10:37 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Hope you have fun today! Sounds like you're doing great!

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 26 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views