What's on your Saturday menu?

Melody P.
on 10/8/22 2:02 am - Amarillo, TX

What's funny is I don't particularly care for donuts!

Good mornin everyone!

I've been up since right before midnight. It's going to be a very long day unfortunately. I have tried to get back to sleep twice and just end up hurting so much I had to get back up. It's 46° here right now. This cold season will be hard on me as I can only imagine what sub freezing temps will do.

Not sure what if anything my mom has planned for the day. I'm going to make Indian Fry Bread today...except I'll be experimenting with not deep frying it. We'll see how this goes. I may deep fry half the batch if that's what my mom wants on hers. I first had these in Montana on in a restaurant right outside the Little Bighorn battlefield area. So so good. It will be a taco type thing and gluten free.

My mom must of accidentally thrown away our basket in the coffee maker yesterday. It's one we got on clearance at Walmart but new ones go for 150+ now. It's an instant pod coffee maker. I have a question into the company for a hopeful replacement. We may have to go dig through the dumpster for our trash bag,,,thankfully I had nespresso pods left for the other side. My mom won't be happy to hear this when she gets up. We almost always use reusable pods but that won't even work without the basket.

QOTD: what do you consider your lucky number(s)?

Mines 757. It's my grandpas tank battalion from WWII. It's a reminder for me that I'm never alone.

B: JUST egg bowl and coffee

L: chicken tortilla soup & sour cream

D: Indian fry bread and toppings

S: not 100% sure on this

I hope this is readable!

Alfred Garret is my grandpa.

Mel

Queen JB
on 10/8/22 3:48 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Morning Mel & everyone! I decided I needed to post for accountability today because I ate like a complete asshole yesterday. I don't think I actually ate one thing that I planned, and every choice was that of an irresponsible teenager. I think I was anxious about my assignments for the week. All 3 papers are about things that I don't have any confidence in understanding fully, so I just stress-munched while I researched.

Tonight Grim's daughter is going over and we are going to watch the Hallmark Movie Premiere "Pumpkin Everything". Ha! I love Hallmark movies so much and it will be fun to have her over for this :) We decided to have Breakfast-for-Dinner when she comes. They are going to do a big feast of French toast, but I will stick to eggs & bacon!

QOTD: That's a sweet story about your grandpa. I like to think that my lucky number is whatever my age is, so that I am set up for a lucky year every year. This year it's 48! So far so good :)

Ok, gotta do this right today:

B: Greek yogurt and Granola

L: Veggie Burger with cheese

D: Bacon & eggs :)

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/8/22 8:31 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Love your lucky number theory! Good luck on the food today during family time. You've got this!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/8/22 4:36 am, edited 10/7/22 9:38 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Good morning Mel and weekend menuers,

Happy Saturday. Hope you have an electric blanket to help with the cold this winter.

QOTD- Don't have one. Thanks for sharing about your grandpa, and the article. Mine was in a war but would never talk about it. Huge PTSD. He ended up being a photographer for National Geographic and for years, that's what I wanted to do. Still love photography but refuse to do it professionally anymore. They had hundreds of magazines I'd flip through when we visited.

You mention fry bread and it triggered something in my memory. A few years ago I went to visit a friend who lives near Phoenix. She told me to pick a restaurant. Love trying new things and I picked the Fry Bread House. Tried that and their green chile stew. Fortunate my friend is okay with trying new things. It was a great place. Native American food. Have fun with yours today.

This weekend my little boy turns two. He's absolutely getting a cake, which he'll have to share.

I took my failed air fryer tofu (that I'll still try again) and chucked it in the crock pot with a chicken breast. Turned it into a simmered tikka masala. Delicious, and I'll make it again. I love Indian food.

Ended up skipping exercise yesterday in favor of continuing to hydrate. My skin is so dried out, I feel like a piece of jerky. And that's been with using night lotions and creams. So now I maaay have a couple more deep moisturizers.

I have noticed that less oil production does seem to be a side effect of thr surgery for me. It makes sense. I've always had the super fine hair that required daily washing. Now I know what second day hair is.

Had an appointment with my PCP yesterday for wellness. I learned again that everyone there is pretty clueless on bariatric patients. At least, the doctor and all the nurses I've seen since July. Should probably note you only see the actual doctor if it's something the nurses can't do. Holding out hope for the APRN from the practice *****ferred me in the first place. The doctor seemed shocked by my weight loss since the referral visit in April. I did ask some of the questions I'm saving for the surgery clinic but...no good answers.

On the good side, I think my stomach is well enough for real food. I highly suspect that a lot of the gurgling/roiling is acid. That part has been going on for weeks. So a normal menu today, and exercise.

I will need to work this weekend, which I don't love...but it's that time of year, and I took Monday off for my appointments. Plus some normal house things.

Accountability- Nothing to report since...gurgles. I don't expect to lose more for a bit as my body resets and rehydrates.

Exercise - Will elliptical today, even if it's lower impact. Need to keep reinforcing the habit. Still only at a half hour since my caloric intake still isn't huge. Today's plan puts me at just under 875. About 800 if I skip the fresh cheese.

Menu

Protein (PS20 to help my guts rebuild) /fiber/collagen

Egg scramble with roast beef, spinach, and cheese

The tikka simmer with spinach added for the leafy greens

Slice of fresh mozzarella (maybe), ground turkey with taco seasoning, possibly seaweed

Have an excellent day, everyone.

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

lmfontana4
on 10/8/22 4:54 am
RNY on 03/24/21

Happy to hear your feeling better.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/8/22 8:36 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Thank you thank you! It might be great for temporary weight loss but I'd rather eat real food and not spend the days in the bathroom. :) so far, so good. Just some complaining from my stomach.

White Dove
on 10/8/22 6:02 am - Warren, OH

Your skin has layers that normally shred off and actually become some of the dust that surrounds us and we are always trying to keep up with. With quick rapid weight loss the body cannot keep up with all the cells that are being pushed off. The skin gets very dry, we moisturize, and it gets drier.

All those dry skin flakes get lubricated by the moisturizer. The effect is like adding Crisco to flour. You are building up something like pie crust. I know that is a too simple explanination, but the secret is to stop the creams and use exfoilients instead. Before your shower, take a dry bath brush and scrub your skin. In the shower, use a good exfolient. Repeat for a few days until you see the dryness vanish. Then be very careful with moisturizing. I am a former hairstylist and had observed this same buildup on people's hair when conditioning became a big "thing" on the 1970's. Under a microscope a piece of their hair would look a piece of wax paper.

The dry skin buildup on your body can also happen on your scalp. The buildup of dry scalp can stop hair from pushing through and cause temporary hair loss. Exfoliating can be done too roughly and cause sore skin and scalp. Find good quality products and concentrate on exfoliation more than moisturizing. It is a balancing act, but I always start with removing the dry layers and rarely add creams or lotions. I was 59 when I had my RNY and am 74 now. People were amazed that I have such smooth skin and very little loose skin after the surgery. My personal secret is Dove soaps and very little creams.

If buildup happens, I like scrubs with nuts in them. Dove body polish with crushed almonds is my favorite. Find what you love and what works for you. Remove the dry skin cells, don't moisturize them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/8/22 8:46 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Thank you for the education. I'll have to think this through. The worst/driest parts are my face and neck. Part of the reason for that is a topical gel I apply twice a day to treat another condition, which has a drying effect that's being exacerbated (part benzoyl peroxide). And while I haven't used exfoliating body wash, I do use an exfoliating glove 100% of the time in the shower. I'd only been moisturizing after that. Sounds like there are some tweaks I can make, especially before getting my skin wet. I'll take a look at Dove. There were some nice sugar scrubs I used to use on my legs.

Fascinating on the hair. I stopped daily conditioning years ago because of the buildup. There's a small bottle I use on my ends once a week or so, and I do get a deep conditioning heat treatment during professional cuts. Do have dry scalp right now and yeah. Not using the glove on that.

I want to say - thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge. You've got a lot of experience and it's good feedback, at least for me. :)

White Dove
on 10/8/22 12:52 pm - Warren, OH

It is trial and error and the gel will make your skin dryer. This summer the skin on my forearms was so dry and wrinkly. I used something called Pretty Hands and Feet. It is strong and the dry skin comes off like a cloud of dandruff. I used it outside on the porch as less cleanup. Long ago, we used to make a solution by melting aspirin in water and then treating dry scalp with that. This was before there were products for exfoliating. I do love sugar scrubs, especially peppermint ones.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lmfontana4
on 10/8/22 4:50 am
RNY on 03/24/21

Great article

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 419 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 231 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 121 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.